PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.10 font problem

MrQuan
December 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
After upgrading my Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 the login screen shows no font character but squares instead. Kind of like this... [][][][][][][][][]
I believe this is an issue with the actual fonts being corrupted or broken somehow.

I managed to blindly log in and found my desktop was fine, but I have a customised theme with my own fonts specified different from default. I created a new user as a test and logged in to that, everything was boxes: menus, labels, everything.

I went back to my normal login and scrolled through all the fonts to see which were broken by looking at the preview. The ones that I found broken are:...

Bitstream Vera Sans
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
Bitstream Vera Serif
Inconsolata
Monospace
Proggy Square TTSZ
Sans
Serif

I'm assuming that some of these fonts are the default ubuntu fonts? I've done an apt-get update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade without any luck. I've noticed that by browsing the font directory I can see some of these fonts, but I cannot view them in the font viewer and the icon doesn't preview the font - so they may be corrupted??

Any help would be awesome~ thanks in advance.

MrQuan
December 8th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Is there an easy way to overwrite/replace the effected font files? Or is there some sort of repair operation that cold help?

I'll need this laptop up and running pretty soon for a work presentation. #-o A backup, reformat, and re-install with a fresh Ubuntu 9.10 ISO is looking to be an easier solution as the clock ticks on... :(

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

MrQuan
December 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Thread not resolved, but closed I suppose.

I'm going to reformat now. I've seen one or two similar thread to this one but they seem to have also ended with a reformat. Sorry if you're here looking for a solution. :roll:

TiloBunt
December 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM
same here for a 9.10 install. No idea so far

TiloBunt
December 21st, 2009, 02:46 AM
mine was because of a corrupt CD. use USB and all fine so far.