PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ten easy tips and tricks for beginners

humphreybc
December 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hey guys!

I just wrote up a two part mini-series of tips and tricks on my blog, it has ten easy but useful tips (with screenshots) for Ubuntu that I didn't find out for quite a while of using Ubuntu. I was a beginner once too, and I know that I found these sort of posts really useful.

Check out Part One here:

http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2009/12/06/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks-part-1/

And Part Two. (http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks-part-2/)

EDIT: I can see from my stats that although Part 1 has had over 100 views, part 2 has only 46! Obviously the click through rate onto part 2 isn't huge, or some people are missing the link at the bottom of the page. So, here's a link to part two. (http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks-part-2/)

Enjoy!

Chris Edgell
December 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I'm very excited to read this. I suppose it is your artistic style to have it done in white on black--it's hard as heck for me to read. Let me see if I can Ctrl + and get it legible for/to me.

But thanks for tinking of us toiling in the trenches...haha learning about ubuntu.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 8th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Good work! Just three suggestions:

1. State the version of Ubuntu used, eg Ubuntu 9.10.

2. Date the article and when updated. Points 1 and 2 should be at the top of the page as an introduction to provide context.

3. Add a description and link to your signature.

Chris Edgell
December 8th, 2009, 01:01 AM
It MUST be Karmic, as I have 0.04 and it looks nothing like this.
I DID want to leave a comment but could not even read the first 3 bars/boxes to fill out before leaving comment. Still, I was interested enough that now I am going to Part 2.

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM
it's hard as heck for me to read.

This needs to be addressed.

LuisGMarine
December 8th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Great post like the tips! :popcorn:

humphreybc
December 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm very excited to read this. I suppose it is your artistic style to have it done in white on black--it's hard as heck for me to read. Let me see if I can Ctrl + and get it legible for/to me.

But thanks for tinking of us toiling in the trenches...haha learning about ubuntu.

Hey, sorry about the white writing on black, I know it can be hard for some people to read. Unfortunately I've pretty much committed to that theme, so everything is designed to work well with it (mainly images). If it becomes a big issue and I get lots of complaints I'll consider changing it :)

But, I have another tip for you, if you use Compiz and have Compiz Config Settings Manager installed (ccsm), then you can set up a hotkey to see negative. I think it may actually be turned on by default, try hitting "Super+m" (Super being the windows key).

Pretty useful :)

@ u.b.u.n.t.u:

1. State the version of Ubuntu used, eg Ubuntu 9.10.

I was going to, but then I decided I didn't want to make it tied to one version only. The tweaks should work for all recent versions of Ubuntu, and future versions - at least Lucid Lynx, so having it version specific shouldn't matter too much. Perhaps I could put a note saying all these were tested on karmic, but should work with most releases.

2. Date the article and when updated. Points 1 and 2 should be at the top of the page as an introduction to provide context.

What do you mean? It's already dated, up the top. I'm not sure if wordpress allows me to show an 'edited' date. Do you mean this thread, not the article itself?

3. Add a description and link to your signature.

There's already a link in my signature, I'll think about adding a short description. I don't want it too cluttered, I want the URL to do the talking - "Interesting" and then in theory, curiosity will take over. :P

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
@ u.b.u.n.t.u:

I was going to, but then I decided I didn't want to make it tied to one version only.

An automotive manual simply titled "VOLKSWAGON" might sound sufficient too, but would hardly be practical.

Oh well, let confusion reign.

The tweaks should work for all recent versions of Ubuntu, and future versions - at least Lucid Lynx, so having it version specific shouldn't matter too much.

You simply do not know this. Mere speculation.

Perhaps I could put a note saying all these were tested on karmic, but should work with most releases.

So are you trying to be helpful or to confuse? Really, which?

What do you mean?

This article was last updated on ... date.

There's already a link in my signature

I must have missed it when I looked for it.

I'll think about adding a short description,

That would be helpful.

I don't want it too cluttered, I want the URL to do the talking - "Interesting" and then in theory, curiosity will take over. :P

Yes we hardly need the Gettysburg Address, but a single word description "Interesting" is so widely open to interpretation that I hardly need to explain the bleeding obvious.

PS

Hey, sorry about the white writing on black, I know it can be hard for some people to read. Unfortunately I've pretty much committed to that theme,

You were given feedback that something is hard to read. Now such is highly valuable information so unless you think the person suggesting such doesn't have a clue, is plain wrong, or should see an optometrist, I would have listened to such.

You have received sound feedback but have rather chosen to judge such to be largely inconsequential. Such indeed is your right and I will let the matter rest at such.

humphreybc
December 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Such indeed is your right and I will let the matter rest at such.

If you don't like my blog, then so be it. Thank you for your feedback.

cartisdm
December 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I suppose it is your artistic style to have it done in white on black--it's hard as heck for me to read. Let me see if I can Ctrl + and get it legible for/to me.

Weird, I can read it just fine and the theme used actually looks really crisp and clean so I like it.

That issu asside, great work!

JamesParnell
December 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
nice work, unfortunately i already knew them all, but nice layout, worked fine for me

Chris Edgell
December 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Whew, mercy mercy mercy, what a scorching review (whether true or not).
u.b.u.n.t.u., (I forgot, what does ubuntu mean?) even if you were all right, it seemed a little over the top to take it apart piece by piece.

Now, even though I'm scared for some reason, I'm going to try Humphrey' suggestion for negative view. I wasn't offended at all and don't even know why u.b.u.n.t.u. took it that way, Am I missing something?

Bless you all

humphreybc
December 8th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Whew, mercy mercy mercy, what a scorching review (whether true or not).
u.b.u.n.t.u., (I forgot, what does ubuntu mean?) even if you were all right, it seemed a little over the top to take it apart piece by piece.

Now, even though I'm scared for some reason, I'm going to try Humphrey' suggestion for negative view. I wasn't offended at all and don't even know why u.b.u.n.t.u. took it that way, Am I missing something?

Bless you all

Hey man, don't be scared about compiz! I can stick up a more in depth tutorial with screenshots for you if you want. It's actually quite handy, especially if you have a laptop and you're outside in the sun.

RabidJawaMan
December 9th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Something that I find really helpful is to write down useful commands that you may not use very often, but are good to know

humphreybc
December 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Something that I find really helpful is to write down useful commands that you may not use very often, but are good to know

Yeah that definitely helps. I try to memorize as many commands as I can, and use the terminal for as much stuff as possible. Have you ever tried web browsing in a terminal? It's quite funny.

I'm planning on setting up a home server next year so I'll need to know my terminal commands pretty well :D

By far the best command is --help though :P

humphreybc
December 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM
... And just for Chris Edgell, I wrote up a little how to for getting negative working with Compiz:

http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/turn-everything-negative-with-compiz/

jaycee23
December 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thank you for your helpful tips my Kiwi friend.

Agree the style is not the easiest to read but hey it's your baby.

Part of the fun of Ubuntu is reading other people's hints, guides and problems (and hopefully solutions) and tailoring them to your own needs.

Been ubuntuing for a couple of months and loving it so far.

Will look out for more of your tips in the future!

humphreybc
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 AM
No worries. I totally agree, for the last few months I've been reading doOds omgubuntu.co.uk blog which is excellent, more in depth than mine (because he specializes on Ubuntu solely, whereas I'm Linux + 4 other topics) and that inspired me to start my own blog. I just have to start writing more posts for the other categories - at the moment I'm a bit low on ideas haha

humphreybc
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Would anyone be keen on an Ubuntu Tips and Tricks Part 3? The article has been going like a hotcake - over 400 views... just for today! It would make sense for me to write stuff the people like. What do you guys think?

cjv8888
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Great blog. Know most of the tips but still interesting to read.
I have no trouble seeing white on black but it may be hard for someone with astigmatism. Bring on part 3 when you are ready!:p

OwNeD
December 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Thank you.

Chris Edgell
December 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi humphreys, I left you one message at your website, but wanted to comment here also.
It was real nice of you to put together the way to change from the negative. I was there trying to think...yeah, trying to think... Trying to think if I could comprehend and follow the instructions when I had the idea to select and copy, to print someplace else and read them elsewhere....and of course, when I selected, it changed into black on white....LOL (did everybody know this but me???)

As far as the content of your 10 tips, I must say, my interest waned as I moved along... Ultimately, I lost interest as it all seemed so Karmic, so I faded away, much as I wanted to love it.

You MAY AS WELL call it: 10 tips FOR KARMIC, or as I too uniformed and short-sighted that I cannot see what it can do for me in Jaunty?

Thank you, humphreys, I'll always be looking for you, you seem so nice!

Bye for now
Chris

philinux
December 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hey, sorry about the white writing on black, I know it can be hard for some people to read. Unfortunately I've pretty much committed to that theme, so everything is designed to work well with it (mainly images). :P

I have a suggestion. If the black background was well less black, say slightly grey, it may help readability. Less contrasty.

Sir Jasper
December 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi,

At least two particularly useful tips work in Xubuntu 9.04.

James said that ¨unfortunately¨ he knew them all and Chis
either doesn´t understand or doesn´t need any of them.

It was an interesting read that may assist some users, me
included, so all power to your elbow.

My regards

humphreybc
December 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I have a suggestion. If the black background was well less black, say slightly grey, it may help readability. Less contrasty.

Hey cheers for the suggestion, I've already looked into this. Basically wordpress gives you a selection of themes to choose from - I chose a dark theme to differentiate my website from others, and because I like having images on a dark background. Also darkroom = photography ... etc etc.

Anyway, for me to change just the background colour I'd have to edit the CSS stylesheet of the theme - which Wordpress allows you to do...

... for $9.99 USD.

For now I can't justify spending any more money on the site (the URL www.interesting.co.nz cost me $40NZD) considering that I'm actually not making any money from it.

But if I can justify buying the CSS upgrade, then I will surely look into changing the colour scheme to make it easier to read. Thanks.

@ Chris Edgell:

Well I didn't want to call it Tips for Karmic because that's simply not true - "most" of the tips should work for Jaunty, and obviously I'm speculating here, but because I know Lynx will still use Gnome 2, and that it will be an LTS release, there won't be a whole heap of new features - hence most of my small tweaks should still work. Here's a list of ones that I know will work in Jaunty:

Window List Window Grouping
Assign System Monitor to Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Kill anything with xkill
Remember running applications when logging out
Get laptop battery information
Change background colour of Nautilus
Enable icons on desktop
Change the amount of panel to show when hid

... so, overall, that's only 2/10 that are Karmic+ specific. The other 8 will definitely work with Jaunty, and possibly even Intrepid - and a lot of them should also work with the likes of Fedora, Linux Mint etc because they're GNOME based tweaks, and those distros use Gnome.