PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MTP Issue - Unable to write

thealmightyone
December 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I currently use a jaunty remix - eeebuntu.

I have a Samsung YP-U3, and it mounts fine, and I can read files from it. The problem is when trying to write to the device. Either the file transfer gets stuck at 64K, or it completes and the device doesn't detect the file (ie, turn it on and it's not in music list).

I have installed countless libraries (libmtp8, mtp-tools) and software (amarok, qlix), and I am still unable to fix my write issue.

lavinog
December 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
It could be the device.
My creative zen can be a pain to write to sometimes...usually when I have problems like this I can do a cleanup on the device and everything will work fine.
I don't know about your device, but the cleanup option is part of a system recovery menu on the device. It repairs the internal database.

thealmightyone
December 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
It could be the device.
My creative zen can be a pain to write to sometimes...usually when I have problems like this I can do a cleanup on the device and everything will work fine.
I don't know about your device, but the cleanup option is part of a system recovery menu on the device. It repairs the internal database.

I can write to the device fine under Windows, should have said that.

thealmightyone
December 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Bump.

lavinog
December 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I should mention that mtp support has improved on karmic, you could give it a try.

thealmightyone
December 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I should mention that mtp support has improved on karmic, you could give it a try.

Gave Karmic a try, same issue.

Just noticed, if I write an mp3 to the player, then try to copy it to my laptop, I get the error:

Error getting file: -6: Not Supported

Does seem like the issue is definitely with Ubuntu writing to the device.

lavinog
December 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Try using the mtp-tools package.

First unmount your device, but don't disconnect it.
open a terminal.
do

mtp-detect

it should spit out a bunch of information about your device.
It might help to post that.

then try sending a file

mtp-sendfile somesong.mp3 somesong.mp3

note the second filename is the destination name on the device.

Post any errors you may get.

thealmightyone
December 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks, sending the file via mtp-sendfile worked.

Rhythmbox also detects it, which is great. Just had to unmount it.

thealmightyone
December 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
EDIT: Ignore. Error messages are useless.

thealmightyone
December 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
How do I send a track to a subdirectory within the device? I have a Music\Artist\Album structure, and no matter what I try, mtp-sendfile drops the file in Music.

lavinog
December 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM
How do I send a track to a subdirectory within the device? I have a Music\Artist\Album structure, and no matter what I try, mtp-sendfile drops the file in Music.

mtp devices don't have a folder structure.
It organizes everything by the mp3id tag.
One problem I have found is that there are different versions of the mp3id and different devices use different versions.