PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is windows affected at all by Linux/Ubuntu OS?

tram84mvp
December 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I am an absolute beginner and i am downloading Ubuntu now, once i have the file and burn it to disc it says to put the disc in and restart your computer and follow the directions - no problem there, my question is: Windows will still be there and i can switch back to it after installing Ubuntu if i want - so Ubuntu is just an alternate operating system and it does not affect windows at all, therefore there is no danger of losing windows or having windows crash?

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
It depends on how you install Ubuntu. Included in your options are the following:

Replace Windows completely -or-
Use "Wubi" to install Ubuntu "within" Windows -or-
Install Ubuntu along side Windwos inside its own partition

Have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

aysiu
December 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
If you're downloading the Ubuntu Desktop CD and not the Ubuntu Alternate CD, then it will not affect Windows unless you specifically tell it to.

By default, it boots a "live" session than runs a fully functioning Ubuntu from the CD itself and your computer's RAM. It does not touch your hard drive until you click the Install icon.

Save yourself a CD, though, if you can boot from USB. UNetBootIn (http://unetbootin.sourceforget.net) will help you "burn" the .iso to a USB key.

You can also use Wubi to install Ubuntu "inside" Windows as a virtual partition:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

cybrsaylr
December 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I've been dual booting with Windows for 3 years now and Ubuntu never effected the Windows OS. Your PC acts like it has two separate and distinct OSs.

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I've been dual booting with Windows for 3 years now and Ubuntu never effected the Windows OS. Your PC acts like it has two separate and distinct OSs.

Unless you use Wubi, so be careful with the decision. Wubi is easier to install for lots of people, but it does interact with windows, while the side-by-side proper dual boot is like cybrsaylr says.

dhavalbbhatt
December 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If you're downloading the Ubuntu Desktop CD and not the Ubuntu Alternate CD, then it will not affect Windows unless you specifically tell it to.

Just for my education - why would an alternate CD affect Windows, if you choose to install Ubuntu on a separate partition using an alternate CD?

BTW, I always seem to use the alternate CD for installing Ubuntu, and I do have a Windows partition and it never seems to have affected the Windows partition - or am I missing something?

gungrog
December 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I've just installed 9.10 with Wubi, coz it's my first venture into Ubuntuland. ;)

The install was faultless, and ******* is still there and functioning if I need it.

I'd recommend this as a good choice for a total beginner, like myself.

aysiu
December 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Just for my education - why would an alternate CD affect Windows, if you choose to install Ubuntu on a separate partition using an alternate CD? Well, in theory, if you know what you're doing and you have the laws of probability on your side, then it shouldn't affect Windows.

But the Alternate CD does install Ubuntu by default (it does not run a "live" session). And installation basically means either destroying Windows completely or resizing the Windows partition. The partition resizing process is again theoretically a non-destructive process. In reality, in rare cases, resizing a partition can result in data loss.

So I wasn't trying to say that necessarily by using the Alternate CD that you would be affecting Windows but that it involves a process that either deletes or limits the Windows' installation. The Desktop CD by default does absolutely nothing to the Windows partition or boot loader.

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I've just installed 9.10 with Wubi, coz it's my first venture into Ubuntuland. ;)

The install was faultless, and ******* is still there and functioning if I need it.

I'd recommend this as a good choice for a total beginner, like myself.

Wait until you do the updates. Read the threads about it and be ready. Especially this one, the solution is in post #10:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339203

As I said, very easy to install but I can't consider it stable when it's linux working inside windows. Besides, if your windows gets messed up, there goes wubi too.

darkod
December 8th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Well, in theory, if you know what you're doing and you have the laws of probability on your side, then it shouldn't affect Windows.

But the Alternate CD does install Ubuntu by default (it does not run a "live" session). And installation basically means either destroying Windows completely or resizing the Windows partition. The partition resizing process is again theoretically a non-destructive process. In reality, in rare cases, resizing a partition can result in data loss.

So I wasn't trying to say that necessarily by using the Alternate CD that you would be affecting Windows but that it involves a process that either deletes or limits the Windows' installation. The Desktop CD by default does absolutely nothing to the Windows partition or boot loader.

I completely understand what you're saying and you're making excellent point about Trying Ubuntu first, but in long term I believe the OP expressed desire to install Ubuntu so running it as LiveCD for longer is "out of the question", if I can use that expression loosely.

dhavalbbhatt
December 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Well, in theory, if you know what you're doing and you have the laws of probability on your side, then it shouldn't affect Windows.

I think that's the beauty of Ubuntu - it allows the user to do what they want. The alternate CD can be daunting for folks who are new (although they shouldn't be), but I think, if you know what you are doing, you will find the alternate CD a much better way to install - you are always in control, and I love that about Ubuntu!!!

Having said that, all my installs are using alternate CD and they have all worked very well for me (at least at the partitioning level - there have been other minor issues, but those were completely unrelated to this thread).

seenthelite
December 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Wait until you do the updates. Read the threads about it and be ready. Especially this one, the solution is in post #10:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339203

As I said, very easy to install but I can't consider it stable when it's linux working inside windows. Besides, if your windows gets messed up, there goes wubi too.

Thanks for this information I have a new laptop and was considering trying wubi, in the past on my older Laptop I have dual booted and had no problems.

rva1945
December 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Unless you use Wubi, so be careful with the decision. Wubi is easier to install for lots of people, but it does interact with windows, while the side-by-side proper dual boot is like cybrsaylr says.

I have already burn the Ubuntu 9.10 CD and it works fine. If I boot with it, I still can see all my Windows (XP) file system. Once I install the Ubuntu, wil I be able to choose between Linux or Windos boot? When in Linux, will I see the Windows file system?

SuperSonic4
December 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Just for my education - why would an alternate CD affect Windows, if you choose to install Ubuntu on a separate partition using an alternate CD?

BTW, I always seem to use the alternate CD for installing Ubuntu, and I do have a Windows partition and it never seems to have affected the Windows partition - or am I missing something?

I prefer manual partition and find the alternate-cd easier to use anyway, no desktop taking up all my RAM. I've not had any problems either albeit with Linux distros but if anything it's harder with linux - cfdisk reports windows as ntfs so easy to leave alone

I have already burn the Ubuntu 9.10 CD and it works fine. If I boot with it, I still can see all my Windows (XP) file system. Once I install the Ubuntu, wil I be able to choose between Linux or Windos boot? When in Linux, will I see the Windows file system?

1. Yes
2. Yes - but you'll have to reboot to switch between them
3. Yes - but the reverse is not true unless you manually pick ext2/3

rva1945
December 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I prefer manual partition and find the alternate-cd easier to use anyway, no desktop taking up all my RAM. I've not had any problems either albeit with Linux distros but if anything it's harder with linux - cfdisk reports windows as ntfs so easy to leave alone

1. Yes
2. Yes - but you'll have to reboot to switch between them
3. Yes - but the reverse is not true unless you manually pick ext2/3

Thanks, I' ll like to say goodbye to Windows some day. I don't even consider accesssing Linux from Windows, I just don't want to loose any info I have stored in Windows.

sliketymo
December 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
It's possible that it could cause neglect,but that's another story! LOL.