PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can someone help get my nvidia card working please

guy72277
December 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi, I have an nvidia geforce 4000 mx card and have tried a few things but cannot get it working. I have installed the recommended driver, but the nvidia x server says "you do not appear to be using the nvidia x driver. Anyone able to help me out.

Thanks

Guy

falconindy
December 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Which driver did you install? You should be using the 96 series driver.

guy72277
December 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Yep, that's the one I'm using....

falconindy
December 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
You may need an xorg.conf file for X to find the drivers, then. In a terminal, do this:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

That should generate a file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

guy72277
December 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi,

have done that, restarted and get "the flickering login screen", from which I can choose to run ubuntu in low graphics mode ( this is a new development, as it just flickered a couple of weeks ago) then I'm back with the same message from the nvidia card as before - you do not appear to be using the Nvidia X driver, please edit your x configuration file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root and restart the x server.

BTW, thanks for replying on this, I really hope to get it sorted this evening......

Guy

Stubbs3
January 20th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I'm having the same exact issue with my 8600gt and Ubuntu 9.1

Did you resolve your problem?

I'm new to Ubuntu but have looked into and i have tried a couple of things. The only thing that seems to work so far for me is to remove all restricted drivers.

The only downfall I've noticed is i cant run enhanced desktop visual effects and some video playback is choppy/lags.

If you have any more information to help me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

sandyd
January 20th, 2010, 05:28 AM
i believe you need to use the drivers from the nividia site for that as that card is really old.

SirBismuth
January 20th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have a 7600GT, and use the drivers from the NVIDIA site. Of course, almost every time there is a kernel update, I have to reinstall the drivers. Not a big deal, I can almost do the entire process, including shutting gdm if necessary, with my eyes closed.

B