PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with apt-get remove

manjestic
December 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have two Karmic Koala kernels 2.6.31-14 and 2.6.31-15 on my system. The -15 kernel does not boot on my system so, I want to remove the package and it's dependencies, reverting to the prior version with

sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.31-15-generic-paebut when I simulate this, it wants to install 2.6.31-16.

How can I both remove and prevent a new version from being installed?

Thanks.

starcraft.man
December 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I have two Karmic Koala kernels 2.6.31-14 and 2.6.31-15 on my system. The -15 kernel does not boot on my system so, I want to remove the package and it's dependencies, reverting to the prior version with

sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.31-15-generic-paebut when I simulate this, it wants to install 2.6.31-16.

How can I both remove and prevent a new version from being installed?

Thanks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020

^ Please see gui section.

Gist of it is easily done with Synaptic. Open it up, search for kernels you want to remove and mark for removal. The packages you want to remain 14 will need locking (prevent updates). Mark the packages (check) that you want to preserve (i.e. the 14 image/header files) and then go to menu Package > lock version. This will prevent all updates to kernel files.

I advise against this and suggest trying 16, kernel updates are important providing security and new/improved features. You can always fall back to 14 if the newest version fails as well.

manjestic
December 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a GUI installed; perhaps it's time to do so. I notice that linux images are not auto removed on upgrade allowing me to boot older kernels. So I will consider allowing apt to install -16 kernel.

starcraft.man
December 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a GUI installed; perhaps it's time to do so. I notice that linux images are not auto removed on upgrade allowing me to boot older kernels. So I will consider allowing apt to install -16 kernel.

If you don't have a gui see the cli section of my guide. You can use commands to put a hold on packages. Or else, use the aptitude ncurses gui to di it. Curses gui as ya prolly know is built for console, nifty stuff. Always liked it's look, reminds me of old days.