PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not all paid for cable channels working

goatgonads
December 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I am using Karmic in the US, and am attempting to watch unencrypted channels with an HVR-1850. With windows I scan about 300 channels, of which I can watch 65 unencrypted channels, that I pay for. The signal is digital cable via comcast. So far, I scan with Kaffeine, and come up with about the same number of channels, but I am only able to watch about 8 of the channels found. I pay for these channels, and they are not encrypted via windows media center.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Again, I pay for the channels that I am trying to access.

lavinog
December 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
looking at the requirements:

a Media Center certified DVD or MPEG-2 software decoder should be standard in your Media Center PC.
Windows Media Center from Windows 7 or TV Pack 2008 required for QAM reception

Those other channels might require a special decoder.
you might want to try installing gstreamer-plugins bad and ugly.

goatgonads
December 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Already installed, but good idea. These channels do work with Mythtv I have just found out.

goatgonads
April 21st, 2010, 06:23 AM
After pulling my hair out, this ended up being a physical problem with the cable coming into my house. The signal strength was too low, new cable, all channels work!

lavinog
April 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the update. It will be helpful information for others that have similar problems.

One thing you should pay attention to is the cable type. RG-59 is not suitable for digital cable or internet. Everything should be RG-6.