PDA

View Full Version : Chrome got even faster startup?

froggyswamp
December 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I noticed for the last few days that Chrome takes like half a second to perform a cold startup, not to mention a warm one. Is it just me experiencing these ridiculously quick startup times?

NoaHall
December 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have almost instant start up. Do you have preload installed?

pwnst*r
December 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I noticed for the last few days that Chrome takes like half a second to perform a cold startup, not to mention a warm one. Is it just me experiencing these ridiculously quick startup times?

that's about right for me on *nix and windows.

froggyswamp
December 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I mean for me a cold startup it used to take like a second and a half (several days ago), now it's almost instant, I wondered if somebody noticed it. Not that it matters a lot, I'm just impressed that it does a cold startup faster than gedit haha, that's ridiculous imho

gnomeuser
December 7th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Those google folk, they know how to measure and improve their code.

speedwell68
December 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Do people actually sit there with a stopwatch timing how long it takes their browser to load?

froggyswamp
December 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
No, some people like me don't sit with a stopwatch, unfortunately I don't got one.

Sand & Mercury
December 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Do people actually sit there with a stopwatch timing how long it takes their browser to load?
Some people are weird and actually do, but in this case you'd just notice it anyway.

Dark_Stang
December 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm confused. Are we talking about the web browser or the operating system here?

froggyswamp
December 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Web browser :)

murderslastcrow
December 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM
No. It's disgustingly fast. Expect it to get better somehow.

murderslastcrow
December 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
P.S. If you have Linux, you have a stopwatch.

wulfgang
December 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Web browser :)
I'm sure the os will probably be under 10 seconds because all it is, is a web browser and a linux kernel.

RATM_Owns
December 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
We're nerds. It's all we have left.

For me, Chromium has nearly instant startup (using the latest Chromium build via the chromium-browser-bin package in Arch's AUR).

PurposeOfReason
December 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I'm sure the os will probably be under 10 seconds because all it is, is a web browser and a linux kernel.
It's more around 2 if I remember right. I wish I could use chromium but I need vimperator.

earthpigg
December 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM
it starts and runs fast as hell, even on my netbook.

it isn't as full featured as ff just yet, so ff is still my primary...

but i dont care about super fancy features on my netbook, what i do care about is using faster software to compensate for the weak CPU.

chromium thus fits nicely into that niche for me.

wavery
December 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Chrome comes in Linux flavor?

Matthewthegreat
December 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
What a stopwatch? Type this into the terminal...

sudo apt-get install stopwatch

AllRadioisDead
December 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM
You know what? This is getting ridiculous. Rightly put, it's disgustingly fast, and I think we as a community need to do something about it. Chromium is far too fast and needs to be slowed down, I think I'm going to write up a letter to Google complaining about the progress being made.

the yawner
December 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Eh, just add a sleep command on your launcher. Problem solved.

PhoHammer
December 8th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Chrome comes in Linux flavor?

Yes! You need it.

Ric_NYC
December 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Chromium showing some strange black squares when I scroll the webpages after the last update.

Anyone having the same issue?

BTW: Chromium is my default browser. ;)

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Hey, Ric- the update before this last one started causing this problem for me, and the new update today didn't fix it. It's a serious issue, not sure if it's been reported yet. Interestingly, the very same version of Chromium on my parents' PC, also using Intel graphics, doesn't have any issues.

It seems to happen a lot more in webpages that need to render flash. Hopefully this is fixed soon (I'm using the daily Chromium PPA for Karmic).

kemsiro
December 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM
i got the same problem with rendering issue.
T___T

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Anyone know if there's a bug report for this yet? I might make it myself in a few if not.

doorknob60
December 8th, 2009, 04:17 AM
My cold startup is about 1-2 seconds (still very vast), but after that it's very fast. I still stick with Firefox, one of the main reasons is there's no way to make Chromium look good with my GTK theme :P And all the addons I use are definately a nice bonus, but it's not a dealbreaker. Firefox's speed to me is still very acceptable.

Ric_NYC
December 8th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Hey, Ric- the update before this last one started causing this problem for me, and the new update today didn't fix it. It's a serious issue, not sure if it's been reported yet. Interestingly, the very same version of Chromium on my parents' PC, also using Intel graphics, doesn't have any issues.

It seems to happen a lot more in webpages that need to render flash. Hopefully this is fixed soon (I'm using the daily Chromium PPA for Karmic).

i got the same problem with rendering issue.
T___T

Anyone know if there's a bug report for this yet? I might make it myself in a few if not.

I hope that's fixed ASAP.

steveneddy
December 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I've stopped using FF 3.5 and started using Chrome as my default browser.

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Good news you guys. The graphics corruption bug's been reported here. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=29536

It's been solved in the recent SVN version, and will be packaged automatically soon. Look here for further detail. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=29504

Do an update and it should be fixed.

Dobbie03
December 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Anyone know how to get the official Chrome not the Chromium?

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Chromium is basically as official as it gets at the moment. I thought I saw a link on Google's site to the Ubuntu PPA at one point.

Knowle
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone know how to get the official Chrome not the Chromium?You can get it here.
http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=unstable_i386_deb (dev 32 bit)
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=unstable_amd64_deb (dev 64 bit)

treesurf
December 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
EDIT: sorry incorrect info, post retracted

madnessjack
December 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
No, but I sit there with a calendar and time Firefox sometimes :P

kemsiro
December 8th, 2009, 11:16 AM
switch back to Firefox temporarily til Chrome provides an update

matthew.ball
December 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Chromium is basically as official as it gets at the moment. I thought I saw a link on Google's site to the Ubuntu PPA at one point.
I had Chrome on Linux under Jaunty. But having installed Karmic since, I lost it - not entirely sure where I got it from (maybe Ubuntu Tweak?).

It was exactly the same as Chromium (minus daily-build), just had the google branding.

madnessjack
December 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Just googled "chrome dev"

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

it's the google version btw

kemsiro
December 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
rendering issue fixed with the latest update :x

mkvnmtr
December 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
The rendering problem is not fixed on my unit. It has changed from random black boxes to other strange boxes. With a daily build it will get worked out soon.

kemsiro
December 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
really?

i updated to 4.0.267.0 (Ubuntu build 34029) and it's working flawlessly now.

Grifulkin
December 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
This might be a silly question but does anyone use Iron instead of Chromium or Chrome?

AllRadioisDead
December 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
This might be a silly question but does anyone use Iron instead of Chromium or Chrome?
I'm actually using steel right now.

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I was gonna' try Iron a while back, but I just don't find it necessary at the moment. Might try it in the future if I get a little scared of the scientists at Google.

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Woah, iron is actually a browser? I thought we were just trolling.
Looks cool!

madnessjack
December 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Iron put adverts on the home page. Bit dubious isn't it?

Grifulkin
December 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Woah, iron is actually a browser? I thought we were just trolling.
Looks cool!

Very nice, that's quite funny actually.