PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu to Kubuntu?

al.adab
December 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
hello,

I'm increasingly using K-programs on Ubuntu 9.04. Do you think I should install the Kubuntu desktop?

If I should, what's the safest way to "upgrade" Ubuntu 9.04 to Kubuntu 9.04 (via terminal)? Is it actually safe or is it recommendable to do a fresh install? Any tip to make it smooth and safe is welcome.

LuisGMarine
December 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I believe you can install the kde desktop by just running

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

However if you do so, now you are going to have two desktop environments running on your computer. I like to keep my system slick and clean, with minimal stuff installed. So I would just recommend a new fresh install of Kubuntu. Unless you have one of those computer systems that takes a lot of time to configure, then that's up to you. For me it's plug 'n play so I can try out every flavour of Ubuntu without having anything important to loose.

I guess after you install Kubuntu desktop, you can go about removing the gnome parts, but I can already tell that it will either break your system, or be an excruciating task. Good luck =) :KS

SuperSonic4
December 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Both work because it's not an upgrade but a change in DE.

Personally I'd have a clean Kubuntu install because there will be less GNOME legacy programs in KMenu but
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop will work

edit: you may find this link interesting for removing GNOME stuff http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

al.adab
December 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
just had a look at
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

and saw the warning at the top of the page about having KDE and Gnome together.

Would it then be a good idea to replace Gnome with KDE altogether? How would I do that? Anything I should be taking care of before going ahead?

SuperSonic4
December 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
That warning just says cluttered menus, nothing about functionality loss.

What you do depends on what you want. I like minimal installs with as few as possible programs so I would reinstall

al.adab
December 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM
plz ignore my last post :) answers came through just as I posted it.

So in the end of the day I can safely install K-programs (like Kontact) on Ubuntu without having to install KDE? Gnome can handle it, in other words?

SuperSonic4
December 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yes you can but I feel that KDE is more well integrated with it's programs but again, thats up to you.

GNOME and KDE can run each others apps but additional libs will have to be downloaded