PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] skype installation

techbrainless
December 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi All,

How to install skype on ubuntu 9.10., I have tried several times but i could not install it.

Thanking you in advance

starcraft.man
December 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi All,

How to install skype on ubuntu 9.10., I have tried several times but i could not install it.

Thanking you in advance

You need medibuntu added to the sources list. Voila. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu)

vredley
December 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Skype has vanished from the Medibuntu repo. Any idea what happened to it?

Ginsu543
December 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM
It appears (according to Launchpad) that Skype has been removed from the Medibuntu repositories because it conflicts with the version being made available directly from www.skype.com. You can download Skype by going to their download page. They have a version available for Ubuntu 8.04 and two versions (32-bit and 64-bit) for Ubuntu 8.10+. Even though the file is called skype-ubuntu-intrepid_*.deb, I installed it on my Dell Mini 9 running Karmic and it seems to be working fine.

Calorus
December 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Which Skype are you using? 2.1 for Linux, or Windows with Wine?

I found that 2.1 went straight on without Medibuntu.

slumbergod
December 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh, I better hang on to the package I have for the older skype. It works better for me but if it has been removed from medibuntu then I better back it up!

vredley
December 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
It appears (according to Launchpad) that Skype has been removed from the Medibuntu repositories because it conflicts with the version being made available directly from www.skype.com. You can download Skype by going to their download page. They have a version available for Ubuntu 8.04 and two versions (32-bit and 64-bit) for Ubuntu 8.10+. Even though the file is called skype-ubuntu-intrepid_*.deb, I installed it on my Dell Mini 9 running Karmic and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the info; I imagine the new version will be available from Medibuntu at some point. The Linux version (2.1.0.47-1) from the Skype website installed fine (I haven't tested it yet), but it's always nicer to get it from a repository.

Now, when is Medibuntu going to offer Opera? Qt4 build, please. :p

Ginsu543
December 12th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Which Skype are you using? 2.1 for Linux, or Windows with Wine?

I found that 2.1 went straight on without Medibuntu.
I installed 2.1.0.47 for Ubuntu. I am not running the Windows version with Wine.

Linuxforall
December 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Sad part is that the Skype downloaded from the site doesn't work with my Microdia cam as the medibuntu version does without any hitch so beware. I have the medibuntu one backed up on my hdd. The version from Skype only shows green lines with my cam even though Cheese shows the cam is fully functional. I have tried the LD_Preload trick but that doesn't seem to do anything.

psyboy55
December 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
You can just install skype from there site or use pidgin with a add on

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?cm_mmc=PAIDS|GAWS-_-AMERC|US|EN-_-BD|SOFTW-_-zf0gu9&gclid=CJjcq9jY0Z4CFQJinAodumWhqg

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Skype from their site doesn't work with webcam and pidgin skype plugin is just an interface for messaging and you still need to keep Skype running for that, its just pointless.

hoho32
July 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
well i used Pidgin to add my skype account but after i press on (add) suddenly go crashed and this pidgin window closed immediately:p