PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mini Install Question

pedrom169
December 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have a laptop that i would like the use to download torrents and browse the net, play a few text based (No Flash) and listen to music. i would like it as minimal as possible with just the software that i need.

What application should i get? Windows manager, Browser (GUI).

I dont mind using terminal based application i like mocp.

Would i have to start from the mini iso and get packages that way?

Thanks in advance

starcraft.man
December 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I have a laptop that i would like the use to download torrents and browse the net, play a few text based (No Flash) and listen to music. i would like it as minimal as possible with just the software that i need.

What application should i get? Windows manager, Browser (GUI).

I dont mind using terminal based application i like mocp.

Would i have to start from the mini iso and get packages that way?

Thanks in advance

If you want a really minimal install the question is how much? I mean something like puppy linux or DSL (damn small linux) is very tiny by comparison to standard 700mb CD you'll get from ubuntu. It depends what ya want, but yes, if ya want start with a minimal install of Ubuntu and install as needed with apt. Fluxbox/openbox may be worth looking into.

pedrom169
December 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
thank you for the input. I am going to start a virtual box and try out a few set ups and see if i can get it the way i want too.

Ginsu543
December 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
It seems like, for what you want to do, the basic Ubuntu installation should suffice. Ubuntu already comes with Firefox (for web browsing) and Transmission (for torrent downloads) pre-installed. I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on my Dell Mini 9 on a 4 GB SSD and it does everything I need it to do and more.