PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help for a freind, ATI mobilty x600 drivers?

jotto!
December 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
A friend is having a few issues getting his laptop working correctly under 9.10.
He dual boots with MS XP but in ubuntu, performance is poor and the laptop video cooling fan seems to be running overtime.

Where would be the best place to get the drivers? from ATI ( version 9.3 catalyst is what they show ) from the laptop manufacturer or just let ubuntu recommend the correct ones?

Im running nvidia on my desktop and have had no issues as yet.

TIA!

Terl
December 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
First place to start is System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. If the card is listed there, Ubuntu can grab it all for you. Just follow the directions.

EDIT - I just checked and see it is a legacy card like mine. I just used the open source driver for mine and all runs well, but I am not running effects or 3d games either so ymmv.

What are the specs of the laptop in question?

JBAlaska
December 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
What Terl said.

Also If your friends laptop has any time on it, he should open the bottom and clean the screens and fan(s) My 1 year old Acer started running the fans on high and then overheating, I opened it up and the filter screens were totally clogged.

She's a runnin cool now.

jotto!
December 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Awaiting on specs of laptop...he did say fans were running and it was hot and also that battery life seemed less.

Terl
December 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Find out more on the battery (how old). When they start to go sometimes things get hot (depending on laptop). I had an older IBM 760 and when the battery died the lappy would run if on AC power but because the battery was bad it heated up something horrible.

Does it overheat on A/C power or all the time?