PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mouse?!

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Ok, so I'm at work setting up a new Mac machine for my boss (and I feel like a fumbling idiot navigating my way around this OS) but I am slowing getting there.

But what I wanted to say is....Has anyone ever used Apple's Magic Mouse?! This thing is legit!

I know Macs are all about eye candy but come on, I am so impressed! haha

/giddy amazement

Bachstelze
December 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I still have to buy one. I'll probably have to order it online, they don't have it at my nearby store.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Um...what's illegal?

I think running OSX on non-Mac hardware is against the OSX TOS/license whatever.

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Um...what's illegal?

A sick bird? :)

Good luck with your efforts.

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think running OSX on non-Mac hardware is against the OSX TOS/license whatever.

Now that's just lame. Are you kidding me? How is running Microsoft software in Wine legal? If asking about pluggin in an effing mouse to a computer is going to catch me crap about being illegal then that's the saddest thing I've ever witnessed on this forum

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
It wasn't about the mouse, it was about the HP netbook+OSX comment.

Regarding wine, I'm no authority, but I think it's a product of reverse engineering, which is protected by law.

pwnst*r
December 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
lol "illegal". everyone talks about pirating and downloading copyrighted music and someone using a legit copy of OSX (like i will be doing with my Dell Mini10V this week) gets beat up on. lulz.

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
lol "illegal". everyone talks about pirating and downloading copyrighted music and someone using a legit copy of OSX (like i will be doing with my Dell Mini10V this week) gets beat up on. lulz.

Seriously, I'd like to think that I don't really care but harassing someone about installing a legal copy of OSX on their own hardware for their own personal experience is a load of horse crap. Why don't you pick on someone for asking how to install Azureus or BitTorrent because you know all their using it for is stealing movies and software

pwnst*r
December 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
ding ding!

Exodist
December 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Seriously, I'd like to think that I don't really care but harassing someone about installing a legal copy of OSX on their own hardware for their own personal experience is a load of horse crap. Why don't you pick on someone for asking how to install Azureus or BitTorrent because you know all their using it for is stealing movies and software
So very true.. LOL

To be the bold *** here and answer you question here. Hardware is hardware. Plugging a Mac mouse into a machine with MacOSX will work.

Firestem4
December 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm using the mighty mouse at work on my macbook. I really like the capacitence scrolling. (The only gesture I use/give a damn about). The mouse isn't the most comfortable but atleast you can configure it to use right click! (just can't rightclick/click at the same time..stupid macs)

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 09:36 PM
So very true.. LOL

To be the bold *** here and answer you question here. Hardware is hardware. Plugging a Mac mouse into a machine with MacOSX will work.

Getting back to the root of things (and to avoid getting myself more worked up than I already am) thanks for the reply!

I've been using it for the past few hours though and as Firestem4 said, it isn't the most comfortable mouse when it comes to long-term use. I think I would be able to navigate faster except I am still getting used to the Mac OS (on my boss' computer). It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to open the freakin' CD/DVD tray on the desktop (hold F12?!)

EDIT: BTW, thanks to whichever mod cleaned up this thread and got things back on track :)

cariboo
December 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Just to make sure everybody is on the right page, it is against Apples' EULA to install OS X on none apple branded hardware. What you do in the privacy of your own home is up to you, just don't broadcast it on the forums.

pwnst*r
December 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
works for me. i'll make sure to report similar posts in the future non-osx related.

The Real Dave
December 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Mice? Puuu, who needs mice, when you have thoughts (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator)! :D

Marvin666
December 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't even know you could get a non-hacked version of osx running on non-apple hardware.

cartisdm
December 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Mice? Puuu, who needs mice, when you have thoughts (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator)! :D

That's crazy!! It even has positive reviews!

fromthehill
December 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM
anyone knows this magic mouse will work in ubuntu?

The Real Dave
December 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
That's crazy!! It even has positive reviews!

Yup :) Apparently after a week or so of calibration, its faster than a regular mouse. It continues learning, so it just gets faster and faster, until its instantaneous :)

blueshiftoverwatch
December 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM
But what I wanted to say is....Has anyone ever used Apple's Magic Mouse?! This thing is legit!
The Mighty Mouse is terrible, especially if your into gaming. You can't right click unless you lift your right finger off the left "button". Really bad for games like Wolfenstein ET where your jumping and shooting at the same time.

My parents have an iMac and the scroll ball on it clogged up within several months. I ended up replacing it with a Dynex wired optical mice (http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-565-10-dynex-wired-optical-mouse.aspx) and they haven't complained since. It's actually the same mouse I bought for my computer.

If someone asks me about computers I'll recommend OSX over Windows as long as they don't mind paying for overpriced and underpowered hardware, just because over all it's a better OS than Windows. But I really hate that Apple has the philosophy that their users are complete idiots. It took them over 20 years to finally get with the rest of the world and ditch those stupid one button mice (the hockey puck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mouse#Apple_USB_Mouse_.28M4848.29) was really awful). The Mighty Mouse I guess is a step in the right direction. Maybe in 20 more years they'll get to where the rest of the industry was in the 90's and make a mouse with two physical buttons.

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Am I missing something? I did not see anything written about installing OS X on a PC in this thread.

pwnst*r
December 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Am I missing something? I did not see anything written about installing OS X on a PC in this thread.

shhhhhhhhhhhh!

TheOnlyMrK
December 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Some of the posts in this thread were deleted. Thus we can't see them now. I find it funny though that instructions for installing a Mac OS on a non-Mac computer are all over the internet yet if you ever speak the words yourself everyone freaks.

HappinessNow
December 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
One of the best mouse designs that I have seen, I usually use the Razer Diamondback...I was impressed, it is the best mouse design that Apple has come out with.

cartisdm
December 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
One of the best mouse designs that I have seen, I usually use the Razer Diamondback...I was impressed, it is the best mouse design that Apple has come out with.

After using it for a few hours, I noticed the lack of palm support makes long use kind of comfortable. The mouse is a really neet gadget, but Logitech has come out with some killer mouses (mice?) in the past I think I like them better for a heavy pc user.

I plan on getting a bluetooth dongle for my netbook so I can hook up my stuff wirelessly. Can I have my blackberry, a mouse, and a keyboard all connected at the same time?

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Some of the posts in this thread were deleted. Thus we can't see them now. I find it funny though that instructions for installing a Mac OS on a non-Mac computer are all over the internet yet if you ever speak the words yourself everyone freaks.

I don't know what the admin's here are getting in such a twist over talking about it. Being that many are from countries outside the US they may not immediately realize that the written word is constitutionally protected in the US. There is Nothing Apple, an American company can do about free speech.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know what the admin's here are getting in such a twist over talking about it. Being that many are from countries outside the US they may not immediately realize that the written word is constitutionally protected in the US. There is Nothing Apple, an American company can do about free speech.

Free speech has nothing to do with it. The forums are private property and the mods can set whatever limits they choose.

Of course, considering that every other thread in AB & GH contains instructions to install ubuntu-restricted-extras...

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Free speech has nothing to do with it. The forums are private property and the mods can set whatever limits they choose.

That's your opinion I'm I'm going to respect it out of respect for my own fervent believe in Our constitution. But If I say what I really think of statements like this I'll be banned for sure. I think that's all I need to say to get my point across.

alphaniner
December 8th, 2009, 04:52 PM
That's your opinion I'm I'm going to respect it out of respect for my own fervent believe in Our constitution. But If I say what I really think of statements like this I'll be banned for sure. I think that's all I need to say to get my point across.

If your point is that you don't understand the concept of private property then you have succeeded.

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
If your point is that you don't understand the concept of private property then you have succeeded.

I very much understand the concept of private property, but when the private property in question happens to be a medium that is open to the public and it's sole purpose is that of speech and expression I don't believe the rights of those public members should be encumbered upon.

I believe to use private property rights as a sludge hammer to oppress free speech is somewhat hypocritical on this forum of all places, where freedom and open expression are cherished resources.

There I got that out without attacking anyone.

pwnst*r
December 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
hey you guys want to meet up for coffee and bagels?

cartisdm
December 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
hahaha, this thread got so off topic!

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I very much understand the concept of private property, but when the private property in question happens to be a medium that is open to the public and it's sole purpose is that of speech and expression I don't believe the rights of those public members should be encumbered upon.

I believe to use private property rights as a sludge hammer to oppress free speech is somewhat hypocritical on this forum of all places, where freedom and open expression are cherished resources.

There I got that out without attacking anyone.
I respect your opinion, but what you believe is irrelevant to the governing of a private property.

Forum Rules
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php) to return to the forums index...

...The owners of Ubuntu Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason....

...It should also be noted that this is a privately owned and operated site by Ubuntu-Geek; therefore posting here is a privilege rather than a constitutional 'right' to free speech and freedom of expression, we ask that the forum rules are followed at all times.

user1397
December 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
magic mouse ≠ mighty mouse

blueshiftoverwatch
December 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, I figured it was a typo.

cartisdm
December 10th, 2009, 03:30 AM

WHAAAAA?! I've been fooled!!!!!!