PDA

View Full Version : do you have Ubuntu eee Box?

Bölvağur
December 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm looking into buying one of those(see specs below) and want to know how the video is like.

I am going to set it up next to a 42" LCD TV with a wireless keyboard + mouse that connect through usb.
Will it play videos perfectly?
that is no choppiness or low resolution.

Im currently checking out the specs and read reviews about it, but I can always trust what you people say more than perhaps fake reviews.

Asus Eee Box (B202-E0035)

CPU : Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz
Mobo :Intel G945GSE micro
GPU: 256MB Intel GMA 950

RAM: 1GB DDR2 400MHz
Sound: 5.1Dolby Digital High Definition

The graphic card is my major concern as these computers come with ubuntu preinstalled. But I have no idea if I will be able to play videos without it lagging like hell.

What I find is cool about this is that I can mount dvd player on any computer in the house and play it through lan.
And what might be cool is that when my grandparents come over I can show them pictures and videos of my trip to germany last summer.

mamamia88
December 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM
i wouldn't trust anything with integrated graphics on a big tv. especially something that is meant for small screen

23meg
December 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
It will likely play all non-HD videos, and probably even Xvid 720p, without problems. x264 and similar codecs, however, require lots of processing power to decode, and anything higher than 720p will probably suffer from skipping.

snowpine
December 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Atom processor and integrated Intel graphics are not good choices for multimedia.

I have three Atom/Intel 945 computers and I would not recommend them for video on a 42" display.

You should be looking at Nvidia Ion at the minimum, in my opinion.

dragos240
December 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Yes. I have my eee netbook, it runs ubuntu off my flash drive. Not exactly on the hard drive. But it's what I'm using now.

chickengirl
December 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have an eeepc running Ubuntu, I would not want to use it for any kind of heavy-duty media. Especially not on a 42" screen. A powerhouse it's not.

Bölvağur
December 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
that was very useful. thank you all.

I guess I might try to build my own computer then.

beastrace91
December 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The EEE will do 720p playback just fine - but anything beyond that is asking FAR too much.

If I where you I'd look into the tiny Acer boxes that pack the nVidia ion that was mentioned above - they are suppose to do 1080 playback quite well.

~Jeff

Bölvağur
December 8th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Actually.... I might be ok with it as most of my videos aren't high res. I have all the family videos on a portable hd so I cannot be sure what the biggest is, but from a video of my grand father'd birtday (RIP) few years ago it seems to be about 720 x 576 at 25 fps.

What I am interested in is if flash might be lagging?
Specially in full screen.

pwnst*r
December 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM
most likely. note that most netbooks have issues running fullscreen flash and HD content.