PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager not working

soldier4jesus
December 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm having some trouble with the update manager for Karmic Koala. It's not notifying me that there are available updates for my computer. I have the box checked to where it's suppose to check for updates everyday. Now, if I run it manually, then it will show the available updates. Is anyone else, having this same problem?

God Bless!
Wesley

phillw
December 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hi,

Go to System --> Administration --> Update Manager. Select settings, And make sure that there's a tick in the Important Security Updates, Recommended Updates and Under Automatic Updates - this should be set for "Daily".

That should get it to fetch your updates for you.

Regards,

Phill.

soldier4jesus
December 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Phil for your response. I went under the Update Manager, but here are the only 3 choices that I have on mine:

Install Security Updates without confirmation
Download all updates in the background
Only notify about available updates.

Now mine has the "only notify about available updates" selected. Do I need to select "install security updates without confirmation"? It is selected to check for updates daily.

God Bless!!
Wesley

soldier4jesus
December 10th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'm still having trouble with the update manager not showing me available updates. I manually checked it tonight and the ones that are showing under there are showing as important security updates. If I check it manually, it works, but it doesn't prompt me when updates are available. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, do you know if there is a fix for it?

God Bless!!
Wesley

soldier4jesus
December 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
bump

avtolle
December 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
It is my understanding that for any updates other than security updates, you will only be notified by Update Manager thereof once weekly. My systems have shown updates (security) the past two days by Update Manager being open and minimized in the lower panel. All updates were listed when I maximized, and were installed. This is default behavior, from my understanding, in 9.10.

soldier4jesus
December 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Atvolle for your response. The problem is, the updates that I downloaded last night were showing as security updates. However, the update manager didn't notify me of the available security updates.....I had to manually pull it up and then check for them myself, at which point, it showed the available updates. When I first downloaded Karmic Koala, update manager automatically notified me of some updates, but then I went for probably a week and a half or two weeks without being notified of any updates, and then when I checked, there were a good many in there. I have it set to check for updates daily and to notify me of any available updates, but it doesn't seem to be working.

God Bless!!
Wesley

avtolle
December 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've not had the problem you have experienced, so I don't have anything more that makes sense to offer. Have you checked to see if a bug has been filed on this?

suniyo
December 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
it may be is a bug related to update manager as lot many people are facing problems with updates in karmic koala. I think you should wait for sometime until update for update manager itself is available :)

soldier4jesus
December 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
We'll do. Thanks so much to everyone for your responses.

God Bless!!
Wesley

Wiebelhaus
December 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Has this same issue on someone's box at work , Had to enter Synaptic and manually select upgrades and run them , then after reboot it mysteriously started working again , Just a small bug , I already submitted , you just need to manually update the first time.

Cheers!

soldier4jesus
December 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much Wiebelhaus!!

God Bless!!
Wesley

Wiebelhaus
December 11th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks so much Wiebelhaus!!

God Bless!!
Wesley

And may God bless you to mate , Cheers.