PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB2 and Kernel Update (thru update manager)

CONCORAN
December 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
When software update manager updates kernel from one small sub version to the next, is there a way for it to automatically use the newer kernel when it boots next time?
So far, everytime there is a new kernel, I update GRUB2 files manually and update-grub to use new kernel.

presence1960
December 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
When software update manager updates kernel from one small sub version to the next, is there a way for it to automatically use the newer kernel when it boots next time?
So far, everytime there is a new kernel, I update GRUB2 files manually and update-grub to use new kernel.

during the update did you get a message asking if you want to use the package maintainer's version or the one installed? Always choose the package maintainer's version.

CONCORAN
December 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
If I recall correctly, it asked me only once if I wanted to use package maintainers' version or mine. I chose package maintainers'. But after that it hasn't.
Is there a way to turn that switch on, if I've somehow switched it off?

outerspacerace
December 8th, 2009, 03:08 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8459578#post8459578

Sorry to hijack but I've just experienced a similar problem and would also like to know what I can do to use the package maintainers version.

Am thinking that might help me out.

presence1960
December 8th, 2009, 03:46 AM
If I recall correctly, it asked me only once if I wanted to use package maintainers' version or mine. I chose package maintainers'. But after that it hasn't.
Is there a way to turn that switch on, if I've somehow switched it off?

It should only ask you each time you upgrade a kernel.