PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Converting pdf files

LunaticHiatus
December 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM
What is a file format I can convert my pdf files in. Preferably a free format that is lightweight.

musarraf172
December 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
What is a file format I can convert my pdf files in. Preferably a free format that is lightweight.

try djvu ... It is very compact.

LeifAndersen
December 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It depends on how complicated your PDF files are. If they are overly complex, it is probably better to just leave it in PDF. However, if it's simple enough, you can easily convert it to .txt or .html with pdftotxt and pdftohtml. However, these are only command line applications, so you will need a very basic knowledge of that.

LunaticHiatus
December 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
i can get around with command line. Thanks.

ajgreeny
December 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
You can use other commands and utilities as well, eg
convert file.pdf file.jpg will, not surprisingly, change the pdf to a jpg.

kaibob
December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
We need to know a little information concerning the PDF file and what use will be made of the converted file. For example, if the PDF file is a reference work with searchable text and no graphics, I suspect that the target file format should be a text file. This could easily be created with the pdftotext utility. On the other hand, if the PDF file is a photograph or graphic, then JPG or perhaps PNG would be best. These are easily created with the Imagemagick convert utility.

putu.sundika
December 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM

I've searching this tools too. Couple menit ago, I found zamzar[dot]com.
It said they will change your pdf file to any type of file format.
They will send the conversion via email. I'ved submit small pdf and want change to doc. Now I wait the answer reply.