PDA

View Full Version : preferred release

dzon65
December 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
What's your preferred ubuntu release?Do you still use it?Why?

liamnixon
December 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I thought Ubuntu 8.04-8.10 were the best. I've had nothing but trouble since 9.04.

dzon65
December 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Were it not for that small thing (headphone sound,just couldn't get it to work),I would probably still use 8.10.
I've seen quite a few ubuntu-"elders" still using 7.04,8.04.That's why I posted this.For what I now so far,it seems the previous releases can be tweaked and set to perform as well as the latest one.Could be wrong though,like I said,total cro magnon when it comes to ubuntu.

Bachstelze
December 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Karmic, what else? So far, there isn't a single release that I thought was worse then the previous one.

koleoptero
December 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
All ubuntu releases were almost identical to me. The only thing that makes karmic a bit better imho is that most of the programs I use have evolved a lot.

NoaHall
December 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Jaunty and Hardy. Both very stable(for me), I would have liked Jaunty to be a LTS, then I wouldn't have had to upgrade to Karmic.

gn2
December 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Best Ubuntu release for me is 8.04, it's still installed on my desktop PC..
I have had some sort of problem with all the October releases I have tried, 5.10, 6.10 and 7.10.

pricetech
December 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I'm happy with Hardy. I probably won't move up until the next LTS.

slakkie
December 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hardy was good release. I'm still running it. I ran 6.10 for a long long time and I've upgraded that to Hardy. Since the last release cycle I started running the development version of Ubuntu. I hope 10.04 will be as good as 8.04.

Marlonsm
December 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Jaunty and Hardy. Both very stable(for me), I would have liked Jaunty to be a LTS, then I wouldn't have had to upgrade to Karmic.

You don't have to upgrade to Karmic. Normal releases are supported by 18 months, so you could wait for Lucid, or even for the next one.

Incense
December 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
6.06 Dapper Drake. This remains the only release I had no problems using. A true LTS release IMO. It was a bit of a bummer having to upgrade to hardy when it EOL'd in July.

t0p
December 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Difficult one. I like Hardy, and I still have it running on my desktop computer. But I hate its network manager with a passion. If anyone knows how I can upgrade the network manager to a more recent version, I'll be indebted.

I've got Jaunty running on my EeePC. Well, officially it's called Eeebuntu 3, but it's basically Jaunty Ubuntu with a custom kernel and a few scripts for ACPI functionality. It's the best OS I've had so far on the EeePC, so I love it. Saying that, I've run Karmic from a live usb a few times now, and I really like it. It seems to handle most of the EeePC okay straight out the box (what box, fool?). So maybe Karmic will become my fave version. Only time will tell.

cariboo
December 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
My preferred release is always the next one.

Main System - Lucid
Main Work System - Karmic
Media Center PC - Karmic
Laptop - Karmic
File Server - Jaunty
Mp3 Player - Jaunty

slakkie
December 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Difficult one. I like Hardy, and I still have it running on my desktop computer. But I hate its network manager with a passion. If anyone knows how I can upgrade the network manager to a more recent version, I'll be indebted.

Get rid of it and configure your network by hand. Much easier imo.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConfigurationCommandLine
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkConfigurationCommandLine/Automatic

BrokenKingpin
December 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
8.10 and 9.04 seemed a lot more stable than 9.10. I am currently running 9.10 and will stick with it, I just hope the next release is more stable.

dzon65
December 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Dapper Drake seems to be the eldest version which if it were possible,kept.The next releases are on the other "extreme",which,if possible,were allready there.
Intresting."Older" releases seem to be more preffered quite a lot.Wonder what makes the difference.But that's just an assumption based on the current data.
How about some more feedback?

gn2
December 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
~ I hate its network manager with a passion. ~

You might like Wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/).

gmjs
December 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
My favourite so far is Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). It's the only one I've ever had full 3D hardware acceleration working correctly.

I'm using 8.04 at the moment (I keep a partition aside to test each release as it comes out, then swap the boot loader menu entries over if I like it).

I'm looking forward to a really good LTS release in April--it's strange not having to reinstall an operating system for so long ;).

mivo
December 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
8.10 worked the best for me, followed by 8.04. 9.04 gave me a number of troubles, but those could be worked out. 9.10 was a mess for me, though. It seemed rushed and unfinished.

era86
December 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
6.06 Dapper Drake. This remains the only release I had no problems using. A true LTS release IMO. It was a bit of a bummer having to upgrade to hardy when it EOL'd in July.

I'm going to have to agree here. Dapper was flawless for me on nearly all my laptops.

Though I had very minor problems, 8.04 was also very good for me.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.The previous releases list keeps growing.
Kind regards,John.

AllRadioisDead
December 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
My favourite was probably hardy, it was overall a great experience. Intrepid was a bit buggy when it came out but once it matured a little I was quite happy with it as well. I was also happy with Jaunty, except for the intel driver bust which was a pain to sort out. Karmic's great, I just wish I knew how to un-butcher the boot process. I don't understand the need to have two splash screens, it just looks really stupid when I boot up my computer.

dzon65
December 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Perhaps we should be adding a question.For those who sticked with the previous releases and are kinda "testing" Karmic.What's the MAIN difference?In what would Karmic be better?

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 05:17 AM
To be honest, I think there was a lot of indecision about certain things while Karmic was developed and since the 6 month timeframe had to be met, it got pushed out the door without those issues being resolved.

dzon65
December 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
My favourite was probably hardy, it was overall a great experience. Intrepid was a bit buggy when it came out but once it matured a little I was quite happy with it as well. I was also happy with Jaunty, except for the intel driver bust which was a pain to sort out. Karmic's great, I just wish I knew how to un-butcher the boot process. I don't understand the need to have two splash screens, it just looks really stupid when I boot up my computer.
Yes,looks crappy.Changed mine,just so that it looks nicer.Btw,splash can be tweaked a lot;check this out:HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1333683)

AllRadioisDead
December 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes,looks crappy.Changed mine,just so that it looks nicer.Btw,splash can be tweaked a lot;check this out:HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1333683)
Hmm, thanks. Interesting, but doesn't really help.

valkro
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
8.04 as its what I use.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm really into Karmic. It boots really fast on my machine, has newer repos, and things just work better (pulseaudio etc.)

jazzybob
December 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 is the best. Handbrake works smoothly. OpenOffice 3.x can be used, Solid build. 9.04 sucked. 9.10 is workable, but 8.10 is my workhorse on three machines - I find the October releases are more solid than the April releases. No empirical data, just personal frustration/experience!

I have a buddy who still uses 7.10 and has no complaints!

Admitedly, Karmic is faster boot, but I usually boot once a day, so I grab a drink during that phase. Sometimes new releases make me drink (and not just tea . . .)

dzon65
December 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah,loved 8.10 as well.The list keeps growing people!

chessnerd
December 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hardy and Jaunty were good. I only used Intrepid for a few days so I can't really say much about it. Karmic had some issues, but they're mostly resolved for me.

If I had to pick just one, I'd say Jaunty was my favorite. I know it gave some people problems, but I liked it a lot. It seemed stable, powerful, and worked will all of the hardware on my desktop without needing to configure anything. As for my laptop, there were only a couple of issues which I was able to fix easily enough.

Hampshire Hog
December 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I have just returned to the Linux community, having originally run Mandrake many years ago, I now have Jaunty as my preferred OS. I haven't had any issues since installing it. Installation was smooth and no problems ever since. Next question is that with very mixed reviews on Karmic, do I now upgrade or stay with what I have, especially as it is both stable and fast.

I run a dual boot system but only until I can replace all my remaining "Window$" needs with Linux then it goes.

Your comments would be most welcome.

Many thanks

HH
:popcorn:

ratcheer
December 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I like 9.10 the best and, yes, I am still using it.

Tim

emigrant
December 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
ditto :D

rolnics
December 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Well I'm sticking with the Heron, replying from it now. Jaunty wouldn't play nicely with my machine and at the time I didn't want to upgrade or hassle as everything was and still is working like a charm!

But ...... I am tempted by Karmic and the new features! I've got a spare hard drive so if I get time this weekend I might plug it in and give it a go.

dzon65
December 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have just returned to the Linux community, having originally run Mandrake many years ago, I now have Jaunty as my preferred OS. I haven't had any issues since installing it. Installation was smooth and no problems ever since. Next question is that with very mixed reviews on Karmic, do I now upgrade or stay with what I have, especially as it is both stable and fast.

I run a dual boot system but only until I can replace all my remaining "Window$" needs with Linux then it goes.

Your comments would be most welcome.

Many thanks

HH
:popcorn:
This question has popped up like a zillion times.You will probably get as much answers.That's why I started this thread.I guess it's a try-thing,and find out which release just works the best for you.

dzon65
December 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
:D
I like 9.10 the best and, yes, I am still using it.

Tim
Stickin' with the old stuff ey?

Hampshire Hog
December 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
This question has popped up like a zillion times.You will probably get as much answers.That's why I started this thread.I guess it's a try-thing,and find out which release just works the best for you.
Agreed, that's what I'll probably do!

Thanks

HH
:cool:

Miguel
December 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Next question is that with very mixed reviews on Karmic, do I now upgrade or stay?

This one's easy. You still have a full year of security updates. If you are happy with Jaunty, there's absolutely no need to upgrade to Karmic. None.

You have Firefox 3.5 in universe (it performs much better than Firefox 3.0) and, furthermore, can download google chrome beta without issues. So, again, 9.04 is a very solid choice.

Regarding my experiences, I really disliked 6.10. That release had the least development time, plus came with the change to GCC 4 (but the kernel was built with 3.4!!!!) and also had the modularization to X.org. All in all, too many invasive changes in too little time. But the release I *still* hate is 7.10. That was sooo awful... I still don't understand why I didn't downgrade to Feisty (one of the best Ubuntu releases ever).

I've read many people complaining about Karmic, but, personally, it's been a great experience (even at boot, once ureadahead was made available). I'm running 64bit, and rarely use external repositories. I'm also testing 64bit karmic in a friend's laptop, but from the first 30 minutes, I feel it's going to be alright.

Regarding LTS's, Dapper did benefit incredibly from the extra 2 months of testing. But even then, and people don't remember this, firefox was in an awful state. It would crash very often, and I kept saying to myself that was why I left windows. After one month or so, a newer firefox build solved those problems.

Hardy had many ingredients to be great, but is ultimately hampered by the Gnome migration to gvfs (it couldn't have come in a worst time for ubuntu), the kde3-kde4 debacle for kubuntu, and a still present bug #131094 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/131094).

From the choices made by the dev team, it did look like karmic was going to be a bumpy ride for many people. The free ATi driver has some serious performance regressions (not as serious as intel in 9.04, though) and quite a few pieces of software are still rough (empathy, I'm looking at you). But there is a very solid reasoning for this. Look at the 100 paper cuts for Karmic, that has been prolonged to Lucid. This is a plan to polish the user experience. Putting again some rough pieces of software also gives the devs more feedback (ati, gdm, grub2, telepathy, ubuntu one, xsplash...). If you consider that Gnome 3 won't be ready yet, I'm willing to bet ONE beer that Lucid is going to be almost debian like.

kagashe
December 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Ubuntu 9.04 since Karmic has bug (random freezes) for Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset.

kagashe