PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems burning iso image

bukormen
December 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I have tried twice to burn the ISO image of 9.10, but have failed to make a bootable CD. It only burns the ISO image.

I still have the ISO image, so am I burning the CD wrong or has the ISO image become corrupt?

I first installed 8.4 a year ago and it worked fine. I then installed 8.10 over the net and that worked fine to. When I tried to upgrade to 9.4 over the net, that did not work. I have now deleted the HD and clean installed 8.4.

Until I sort out 9.10 I will use 8.4... (And curse myself for wanting to upgrade when 8.10 was doing fine...)

darkod
December 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM
If the CD is not bootable and when you open it you can see the file blabla.iso inside, then you are doing it wrong. In the burning software you have to find option similar to Burn Image to Disc and use that.
When you open the CD it should show files and folders inside, not just one single file (the ISO).
Another alternative is that your computer is set to boot directly from the hdd in BIOS so it's ignoring the CD even if it's bootable. The order for booting in BIOS has to be CD, HDD, etc.

sdsmall
December 7th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I am having the same problem. I burn the image but the job does not complete normally.

I know how to burn ISO images to dvd but cannot do so with the image that I downloaded (64 bit). I will download again and try.

darkod
December 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am having the same problem. I burn the image but the job does not complete normally.

I know how to burn ISO images to dvd but cannot do so with the image that I downloaded (64 bit). I will download again and try.

If burning doesn't finish correctly it might be corrupted image during download.

sdsmall
December 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Already downloaded again and same result. I then burned to a cd instead of a dvd and the job completed ok (is the iso image for cd different from dvd - stands to reason).

When I attempted to boot from cd i got "isolinux: Disk error 04, ax=4280, drive=ef.

I am losing interest in Ubuntu.

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Already downloaded again and same result. I then burned to a cd instead of a dvd and the job completed ok (is the iso image for cd different from dvd - stands to reason).

When I attempted to boot from cd i got "isolinux: Disk error 04, ax=4280, drive=ef.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Some tips on burning disks can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

darkod
December 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Why would you waste dvd for such a small image that fits on a cd? If you are using dvd-rw disc that can be a problem. Also cd-rw.
It's really bad you can't make it work but if the burn process was not finishing correctly it sounds more like it's a problem with burning it, not with ubuntu.
In windows you can try free software called ImgBurn. It's very good for burning images and files too. Just type the name in google.

presence1960
December 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM

That is not any reflection on Ubuntu, rather it is a reflection of operator error or hardware/software error. Have you done this:
1. MD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) the iso you downloaded prior to burning it as an image to disk?

2. Did you burn the iso as an image at no more than 4x or 8x speed? This will eliminate errors. making a bootable image is far more demading then burning data or music files. One piece of data with an error will ruin the image. If your burning software isn't capable of doing the job see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/switching/installing-burning.html)for Infra Recorder.

3. Once the above is done boot the Live CD and choose "check disk for defects" prior to doing anything else.

In closing it is not Ubuntu's fault you can't seem to burn a good image to CD. You haven't even gotten into Ubuntu yet. Up until this point it is all you and your machine.

kelvin spratt
December 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM

No I use nothing but rewritable media, always use Verbatim never had a coaster in 4 years of burning Linux to DVD+RW. If you use windows use Power ISO, for burning, in Linux Gnome, right click on image and burn.

presence1960
December 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Could be your optical drive. Try cleaning it. Just because it reads CD/DVDs doesn't mean it can boot one.

Or better yet make a bootable USB if your machine's BIOS is capable of booting from USB.

bukormen
December 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
2. Did you burn the iso as an image at no more than 4x or 8x speed? This will eliminate errors. making a bootable image is far more demading then burning data or music files.

I burnt a R-CD, but the DVD-burner gives me a choose of either 18x or 9x, I choose 9x and that may be the reason why it does not work.
I will try with another CD-burner.

darkod
December 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I burnt a R-CD, but the DVD-burner gives me a choose of either 18x or 9x, I choose 9x and that may be the reason why it does not work.
I will try with another CD-burner.

Burning software only offering 18x and 9x? That doesn't sound right. Get ImgBurn, it's quite good for windows.

bukormen
December 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Burning software only offering 18x and 9x? That doesn't sound right. Get ImgBurn, it's quite good for windows.

I am using Ubuntus burner. Does Ubuntu come with 2 burners? I will look around and see.

darkod
December 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I am using Ubuntus burner. Does Ubuntu come with 2 burners? I will look around and see.

Oooops. All this time I thought you don't even have Ubuntu yet and you're on windows. I'm quite new to ubuntu and haven't burnt images yet so someone else should give you better advice for ubuntu.

efflandt
December 8th, 2009, 03:03 AM
After you download the iso file then md5sum whatever.iso and see if that agrees with the md5sum for the iso file. Then after you burn the iso to disk, eject and reinsert the disk (if it does not eject automatically after burning), then with the CD mounted, cd to the CD and you should find a file called md5sum.txt. Your next step is to md5sum -c md5sum.txt, to see if md5sum of the CD files agrees with md5sum.txt.

If that is all successful and still no boot from CD, check boot order in BIOS settings and make sure that cdrom boots before hard drive. Note that it may take awhile and your screen may blank or appear to go off at times.

If it still fails, you may have a hardware issue. Can you boot any other CD that you burned recently?

presence1960
December 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM

k3b, brasero are what i use. Or right click the iso and choose write to disk.

Did not know you were on Ubuntu, your original post gave no indication.

bukormen
December 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Did not know you were on Ubuntu, your original post gave no indication.

I though I was very clear... I did mentioned I used 8.4 and 8.10 and was upgrading to 9.10. Anyway, I have Brasero, so will burn a new CD at the weekend.

Thanks for all the help!