PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multibooting

borg101
December 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I built a pretty nice system and I want to tri multibooting (get the pun?!?! :-p ). I've dual booted a few linux distros (slackware, fedora, and ubuntu mostly) with window xp. I've heard the bootloader for windows 7 is different though I'm sure I could figure out how to dual boot a linux distro and windows 7. However, I want to play with snow leopard and I'm not sure how to install a mac OS. I did it once years ago with OS 8 or 9.....but I completely forget anything and everything with mac software.

Are there any "how to's" out there or guides? Forgive me if this isn't an original post. I searched but only found threads on dual booting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

raymondh
December 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I built a pretty nice system and I want to tri multibooting (get the pun?!?! :-p ). I've dual booted a few linux distros (slackware, fedora, and ubuntu mostly) with window xp. I've heard the bootloader for windows 7 is different though I'm sure I could figure out how to dual boot a linux distro and windows 7. However, I want to play with snow leopard and I'm not sure how to install a mac OS. I did it once years ago with OS 8 or 9.....but I completely forget anything and everything with mac software.

Are there any "how to's" out there or guides? Forgive me if this isn't an original post. I searched but only found threads on dual booting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Borg101,

Setting up a 3-boot is the same as setting up a 2-boot. Google "install OSX in PC" for clues/guides/slipstreaming process' and then install win7 and finally Ubuntu.

I 3-boot (OSX - Win7 Pro - Jaunty). I use GRUB in the MBR as the bootloader which segues to Darwin for OSX boot-up. You can try CHAMELEON.

Is the effort worth it? Yes... as a learning experience and only on a test machine netbook.... as well as to sync my files between my main mac-OSX machines .... but that's about it. Main challenges are hardware + driver difficulties that had to be addressed (keyboard, wifi, etc).

Good luck.

andrew.46
December 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Hi borg,

I've heard the bootloader for windows 7 is different though I'm sure I could figure out how to dual boot a linux distro and windows 7.

Another thing to consider would be to use a virtual machine with Windows 7, it works well on my sysem.

All the best,

Andrew