PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen in Portrait ....

expatCM
December 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I just set up a home theatre again. This time with Ubuntu 9.10. The setup is fine with the flat panel I used but when I connect it to a projector the output only occupies say half of the projection screen and it appears in portrait format.

Since this used to work before I reinstalled I know it has to be a setting but I do not know which.

I am using a nVidia video card and the resolution is 1024 x 768. I have been through the nVidia X Server Settings gui, much of what is there does not make too much sense to me but I cannot see any obvious setting to change.

Everything else is working .... it is just the wrong orientation.

Any ideas?

rubenverweij
December 7th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Maybe you could try to rotate it with xrandr. Don't know whether this works for a second screen too, though.

expatCM
December 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
It is only the one screen. All I did was change physical location and use the projector instead of the flat panel display.

Do you happen to know if xrandr is only command line and what should be changed?

expatCM
December 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I may have accidentally discovered a simple fix.

I opened xorg.conf and at the end of the Section "Device" I added the following line -

Option "RandRRotation" "true"

When I restarted a new line had appeared in nVidia X Server Settings which allows rotating the output ..... and that (subject to testing) is what I need....

rubenverweij
December 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Glad you solved it. Should you need to work with xrandr, here is a mini how-to: :D
Firstly, find out how your screen is called:

xrandr
This should output your screen name. In my case it displays:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 600, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS1 connected 1024x600+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 220mm x 129mm
1024x600 60.0*+
640x480 59.9

So, the name is LVDS1.
Then, to rotate the screen, type:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --rotate [normal,inverted,left,right]
Good luck!

expatCM
December 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you for posting the extra information ... it is really good to have a broader picture to hand ....