PDA

View Full Version : I have never been into Anime. What's good?

diablo75
December 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
So I have a collection of anime shows here to pick from, a vast selection really... but I don't know a single thing about this genre. What's good?

bvanaerde
December 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029066) might be helpful ;)

soni1770
December 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
i like Ninja Scroll

x33a
December 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Well, you probably know the difference between "normal' cartoons and anime.

i don't watch too much anime myself (not too much time at hand, since it is very addictive :D). The show which i do watch regularly is naruto shippuuden (part 2). and it's a really amazing show. i watched all episodes of naruto (part 1), and they were great too.

one advice though, watch the shows in japanese with subtitles, as they are much better than dubs.

anselm
December 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
My favs,

Rurouni Kenshin, Bleach, Naruto shippuuden.

Here is a link to check out.

http://www.anilinkz.com

fromthehill
December 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
death note is a good one to start with
relatively normal story, not too extreme

other good series are: haruhi no yuutsu(24 eps), eden of the east(11 eps), clannad(24 eps), Sayonara zetsubou sensei(really weird), soul-eater(50 eps)

if you like gore you should see elfen lied :D

I don't think you want start with something like naruto/naruto shippuden
it will take looooong before you watched all 300-400 episodes and the story goes too slow

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
For starters, set anime aside... what are your favorite genres and themes?

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Start of with Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL and Ergo Proxy

diablo75
December 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
For starters, set anime aside... what are your favorite genres and themes?

Well...

I like things that have some deep philosophy behind them. Things about different perceptions of reality, of the metaphysical, of time. And of course who wouldn't enjoy something about a hero (better yet, a hero who starts off not knowing he's the hero) taking the "left-hand path" in life to go on some kind of quest. But I also like to have some humor in there as well. Lots of it if appropriate. And I do enjoy graphic stuff with gore and nudity and all that. I've seen very little anime, as mentioned above, but the kind I absolutely can't stand are the ones where it looks like the animator got tired and decided to recycle as many frames as possible. Like, a person who's talking takes two drawings by the "animator" to do. One drawing with his mouth open, the other with his mouth closed, and you just flip back and forth between the two. That stuff drives me nuts, so please, no "lazy" anime.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029066) might be helpful ;)

+1

A thread already exists.

whiskeylover
December 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I watched a few back in the days. I don't watch anime anymore, as I don't think its my type; but one series that I can watch again is "Love Hina". I found it to be very very funny.

whiskeylover
December 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
+1

That thread also exists.

fromthehill
December 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Start of with Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL and Ergo Proxy
agree with Neon Genesis
but I think FLCL will scare him away forever :D

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
agree with Neon Genesis
but I think FLCL will scare him away forever :D

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but FLCL is one of the few that got me into anime. I guess I like how bizarre it is.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
You might like Gilgamesh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_(anime)) or maybe Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_(manga)). Those are the only two that I can think of. I only watched a few eps of each though, not really my thing.

AllRadioisDead
December 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Elfen Lied is a good one if you're into gore and nudity. Other than that, I enjoyed Blood+ and Code Geass. I still watch bleach occasionally too.

Uncle Spellbinder
December 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM
That thread also exists.

Indeed it does. ;)

Just thought it odd that a new thread would be started when another exists and is at several pages, discussing the same thing. I suspect a thread-merge is in order.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I think there's sufficient difference between "what anime do you like?" and "what anime would I like?"

hessiess
December 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ghost in the shell, Serial Experiments Lain and ergo proxy are good if you like darker themes and complex, hard to follow plot lines (which I do). Though these series deviate from the stereotypical `anime' style.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Ghost in the shell, Serial Experiments Lain and ergo proxy are good if you like darker themes and complex, hard to follow plot lines (which I do). Though these series deviate from the stereotypical `anime' style.

I had forgotten about Lain. I second that suggestion.

Странник
December 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Ghost Hound is also like that.

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I had forgotten about Lain. I second that suggestion.

I think I'm the only one who found Lain incredibly boring. Maybe I'll give it another try eventually.

mivo
December 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I really like Hikaru no Go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikaru_no_Go) and just started to watch it again. It was fairly big in Japan (I feel old for "big in Japan" bringing back memories of Alphaville!) when it came out in 2001 or 2002. There are 75 episodes, all of them available with English sub titles. Plus a few specials. There's also a HnG manga.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I think I'm the only one who found Lain incredibly boring. Maybe I'll give it another try eventually.

I didn't say I liked it. I just think the OP might.

I liked the premise, but it seems like the series could have been cut in half or so without losing anything substantial.

blueturtl
December 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Well...

I like things that have some deep philosophy behind them. Things about different perceptions of reality, of the metaphysical, of time. And of course who wouldn't enjoy something about a hero (better yet, a hero who starts off not knowing he's the hero) taking the "left-hand path" in life to go on some kind of quest. But I also like to have some humor in there as well. Lots of it if appropriate. And I do enjoy graphic stuff with gore and nudity and all that. I've seen very little anime, as mentioned above, but the kind I absolutely can't stand are the ones where it looks like the animator got tired and decided to recycle as many frames as possible. Like, a person who's talking takes two drawings by the "animator" to do. One drawing with his mouth open, the other with his mouth closed, and you just flip back and forth between the two. That stuff drives me nuts, so please, no "lazy" anime.

It's not my style to tell people what they like, but I'm gonna be bold and recommend Berserk.

edit: This one you can't judge if you watch an episode or two, you'll have to see the whole thing to the end. Take my word for it. It might take commitment if you're not immediately drawn in, but the series is more deep than it first appears.

hessiess
December 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Anything which is abstract and leaves a lot up to the interpretation of the viewer will always have people who like it, and people who don't.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Anything which is abstract and leaves a lot up to the interpretation of the viewer will always have people who like it, and people who don't.

ZankerH
December 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
(didn't read the thread, so my aologies if these were already mentioned)

-Planetes
-Ghost in the Shell
-Ergo Proxy
-Legends of the galactic heroes

P.S.: Some people will insist you have to watch it in japanese and struggle to read the terrible subtitles. Don't listen to them, or you'll get bored after 5 minutes and never look at anime again. If japanese isn't your native language, you'll never understand it well enough to be able to appreciate anime as well as you could if you just picked any of the superior dubs.

And before you ask, no, you can't learn japanese just by watching anime. I've been watching it for years, and from all of the japanese ones I've inflicted on myself without dubs, I've somehow managed to memorise around ten phrases.

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
P.S.: Some people will insist you have to watch it in japanese and struggle to read the terrible subtitles. Don't listen to them, or you'll get bored after 5 minutes and never look at anime again.

I don't agree. I started watching in Japanese, which was because I accidentally downloaded a subbed version, but now I don't regret it at all. I can't stand the horrible voice acting in the english versions.

I also find it interesting that you think translations will somehow be magically better in the dubbed version.

And before you ask, no, you can't learn japanese just by watching anime. I've been watching it for years, and from all of the japanese ones I've inflicted on myself without dubs, I've somehow managed to memorise around ten phrases.

Agreed. I'm wondering why you'd think anyone would ask that, though.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
P.S.: Some people will insist you have to watch it in japanese and struggle to read the terrible subtitles...

Gotta disagree on the dub/sub argument; big surprise there. Choose what suits you best, of course. Things have changed in the past few years, but I've experienced too many titles with poor voice acting. And on the contrary, much fan-subbing was phenomenal, some even explaining cultural references that you won't get in a dub or licensed sub.

mivo
December 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't "insist" that someone watches the subbed versions, but the voice acting usually ruins the experience for me, especially if you are used to watching subbed/original versions.

diablo75
December 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say I'm into the darker stuff.

Here's what I'd really love to see: A show with a plot and atmosphere similar to Half Life (the game). You know, you'd have this kind of futuristic George Orwell 1984'ish theme with a sci-fi twist. Anything like that out there?

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Here's what I'd really love to see: A show with a plot and atmosphere similar to Half Life (the game). You know, you'd have this kind of futuristic George Orwell 1984'ish theme with a sci-fi twist. Anything like that out there?

Ergo Proxy is along those lines. It does deal with a futuristic, highly controlled state, but it does venture into other realms.

Chame_Wizard
December 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
1st::o anime shows?It's not the USA with their "........." shows,it's anime series.:P

2nd:you should check animenewsnetwork (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/) and myanimelist (http://myanimelist.net/).:guitar:

Tristam Green
December 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
My picks:

- Trigun
- Gundam series
- Macross
- Vampire Hunter D
- Blue Gender (I loved this series)

Bölvađur
December 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM
What I like about anime:

The stories are good.
The characters are cool and there is always 1 that is really cute... well not only cute... perhaps more... like an angel.

What you should check out:

Death notes
Ergo Proxy (I found it really good but very hard to watch. not for kids)
Elfen Lied (really cute, very evil, real bloodbath. NOT FOR KIDS)

There are many that are popular but aren't really good or are for children (not very good stories... perhaps for children)
What you should stay way from

Pokémon
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Full Metal Alchemist

They might have their appeal but they even try to have bright colours just for the children!

JDShu
December 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I like things that have some deep philosophy behind them. Things about different perceptions of reality, of the metaphysical, of time.

Kino's Travels explores philosophical questions almost every episode.

And of course who wouldn't enjoy something about a hero (better yet, a hero who starts off not knowing he's the hero) taking the "left-hand path" in life to go on some kind of quest.

I admit I'm not sure what you mean by left hand path but if you mean anti-heroes, theres Death Note. Cowboy Bebop might fit in this criteria as well.

But I also like to have some humor in there as well. Lots of it if appropriate.

Lots of these. Off the top of my head the following make me laugh: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, One Piece, Ranma 1/2, Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO), and Azumanga Daioh.

And I do enjoy graphic stuff with gore and nudity and all that.

Berserk is as gory as you can get. Hellsing has a lot of blood too, although thats more stylized.

EDIT: I also agree with the previous post. Elfen Lied is very gory as well.

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
What you should stay way from

Pokémon
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Full Metal Alchemist

They might have their appeal but they even try to have bright colours just for the children!

I violently disagree with relating FMA to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. FMA is not a children's anime. And now I think about it, the OP might find the theme interesting. And FMA: Brotherhood is on Hulu, episodes are still being released on a two week delay from Japan. I think they go back to episode 1.

spupy
December 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM

I'd like to see that as well. :(

Well...

I like things that have some deep philosophy behind them. Things about different perceptions of reality, of the metaphysical, of time. And of course who wouldn't enjoy something about a hero (better yet, a hero who starts off not knowing he's the hero) taking the "left-hand path" in life to go on some kind of quest. But I also like to have some humor in there as well. Lots of it if appropriate. And I do enjoy graphic stuff with gore and nudity and all that. ...

I'll mention some that I didn't see in this thread:
* Haibane Renmei - short and a little slow, but very good. Interesting and mysterious setting. Much is left to interpreration (which I like).
* Umineko - currently airing (almost ended). It's a murder/magic mystery. Does magic exist? Is what you see real or is it a distorted reality? It's kind of a mind-screw story. Unfortunately, it is an adaptation of an incomplete 'novel', so there are no answers yet. (This one has some ridiculous action, blood and guts.) (For more mind-screw and blood, see the related Higurashi)
* The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - it's movie, about a girl who goes jumping around time. Sounds simple, but the implementation is nice.

Also, guys, lets not turn this into a i-like-this-and-that thread. Keep recommendations, and try not to repeat.

Странник
December 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I totally forgot about Kino's Travels . It's fantastic !

dragos240
December 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Neon genesis evangelion is one of my favourites (confusing for some). I also like lucky star, and naruto shippuuden.

JBAlaska
December 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I think there's sufficient difference between "what anime do you like?" and "what anime would I like?"

Indeed, there seems to be a few wanna-be MOD's here LOL

drawkcab
December 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not really an expert but I've seen a few things that I've liked.

1. Macross. It's listed as "Robotech" at Hulu. It's old as hell now but I think the story from the first series holds up. I watched this one religiously as a kid.

2. Naruto/Naruto Shippuden. Once this series gets past the first season it is really good. You can catch most of these online at various places, including some episodes at Hulu. I prefer to watched the subbed versions. The dubbed versions aren't bad but not the same I think.

3. FLCL--Classic

4. Gantz--This one's pretty dark but I liked the initial concept.

5. Death Note--On Hulu.

Marvin666
December 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm a bleach junkie. I like flcl really well too.
Ghost in the shell, inuyasha, and deathnote are alright.

Bölvađur
December 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I violently disagree with relating FMA to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. FMA is not a children's anime. And now I think about it, the OP might find the theme interesting. And FMA: Brotherhood is on Hulu, episodes are still being released on a two week delay from Japan. I think they go back to episode 1.

I knew some one was going to say that, so to avoid it I also wrote:

I have to admit that when I watched Full Metal Alchemist I often said "children show" few times while there are scenes with his mother's corpse... and him with his bleeding stub (did he ever find his hand?). Well yes I wouldn't put it on tv for young children, but the writing isn't like in Monster. Put a teenager in front of 2 sets of TVs and show him Monster and FMA at the same time for an hour. Guess which one he'll chose and which one will not be picked.

chris200x9
December 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
axis powers hetalia