PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best sweap earia

MMALLOW
December 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Hi

some people said sweap must be your ram *2

i have 4 giga ram , i made my sweap 8 giga ( 4*2)

this correct
or what

and my frind told me make 6 giga ONLY beacuse

operating system32 read 6 giga only

i want ask you this true ,

and which sweap size better

audiomick
December 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hallo.
I learned recently that the rule for SWAP = 2*RAM is out of date. I came from times when swap was still only 256MB or so.

For functions like suspend and hibernate (i.e. put the computer to sleep), the swap needs to be at least as large as the RAM, because the contents of the RAM get written into swap in the process.

If you are wondering whether your system is seeing all your RAM, open the system monitor at system> administration> systerm monitor.

On the third tab of this, "resources" you can see how much RAM the computer has recognized and what it is doing with it.

MMALLOW
December 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
HI
I CANT UNDERSTAND YOY

FIRST

I WANT TO KNOW MY SWEAP SIZE 8 (4*2)

THIS CORRECT OR NOT

AND WHAT THE RIGHT

SECOND

IF IGO TO system> administration> systerm monitor
CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS TO ME , WHAT I WILL DO , AND CAN YO GIV ME EXAMPLE

presence1960
December 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
HI
I CANT UNDERSTAND YOY

FIRST

I WANT TO KNOW MY SWEAP SIZE 8 (4*2)

THIS CORRECT OR NOT

AND WHAT THE RIGHT

SECOND

IF IGO TO system> administration> systerm monitor
CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS TO ME , WHAT I WILL DO , AND CAN YO GIV ME EXAMPLE

First do not type in all CAPS- it is considered rude- the equivalent of angrily yelling. Plus it is hard on the eyes!

While it is not wrong to have swap at RAM x 2, you generally won't ever need that much. If you want to use suspend and hibernate your swap should be equal to your installed RAM since whatever processes are running when you use that function will be copied from your RAM to the swap partition. Unless you are low on disk space i would leave the swap as is for now.

32 bit Operating Systems (whether Windows, linux, mac) can not address a full 4 GB of RAM. But 64 bit Operating Systems can.

kimberlite
December 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Note that Ubuntu has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions too. You may want to use the later to enjoy your 4GB RAM...
In system-monitor at "system" tab you can see how much RAM is usable by your box.