PDA

View Full Version : Carrying CD tools around in my wallet?

blueshiftoverwatch
December 7th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I was thinking of buying some business card CD's to burn a few tools such as a mini Linux live CD, Dban, System Rescue CD, or things of the like and carry them around in my wallet. I realize that I could use a USB flash drive, but some older computers won't boot off of a flash drive.

Am I correct in my assumption that buying a business card CD with squared edges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bcardcd.JPG) is a bad idea, as it won't fit into the mini CD slot of most CD/DVD ROM drives like one with rounded edges would?

Do you think that CD's would last being kept in my wallet? Or would heat from my body or other factors get to them?

t0p
December 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
You want to carry dban around with you? Just in case you feel the need to wipe the hard drive of any computer you come across?

CDs in a wallet - I dunno. Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? All that flexing when you sit down won't do the cd any good.

Johnsie
December 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think the card shaped cd's are designed to work in computer cd drives and therefore should work.

The problem is that if you're regularly pulling things out of your wallet then in might get scratched or worn away. My debit card isn't very old, but looking at it there is alot of wear and tear. I'm assuming the same would also happen to a cd.

forrestcupp
December 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
CDs in a wallet - I dunno. Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? All that flexing when you sit down won't do the cd any good.

Right. As soon as you sit down, you'll crack it.

pwnst*r
December 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM
You want to carry dban around with you? Just in case you feel the need to wipe the hard drive of any computer you come across?

^this.

blueshiftoverwatch
December 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I carry it in the front pocket and I'd probably put my CD's behind my drivers licence, where they'd likely hardly get touched.

bluelamp999
December 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Right. As soon as you sit down, you'll crack it.

Haha!

Simian Man
December 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
What situation would you be in where you need to rescue, wipe or reformat a hard drive where you can't get a Live CD out of a drawer, burn one and where the situation is that dire?

Just because you have a skill doesn't make it a useful skill.

teward
December 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Don't bother carrying it in a wallet. Just go get a cheap 1GB flash drive or something and use that to carry your tools around. Its what I do, I stuck a LiveCD image on one of those 1GB USB drives and use that to mess with hard drive partitions if I have to (gparted = epic :P)

blueshiftoverwatch
December 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM
What situation would you be in where you need to rescue, wipe or reformat a hard drive where you can't get a Live CD out of a drawer, burn one and where the situation is that dire?
A few months ago I was at a friend's house waiting for him to get out of the shower. His computer was on, but his account was passworded. If I had a live CD I could just pop that in (assuming his BIOS was set to boot from a CD) and go on the Internet.

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
A few months ago I was at a friend's house waiting for him to get out of the shower. His computer was on, but his account was passworded. If I had a live CD I could just pop that in (assuming his BIOS was set to boot from a CD) and go on the Internet.

Using other people's computers without permission ftw!

Ozor Mox
December 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Haha! Even better, use DBAN to wipe all traces of data off his computer, and install a different operating system that you want to use! :p

markp1989
December 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
just buy a 1gb sd card most computers come with a card reader on the front that is bootable.

there cheap and alot more durable then a cd (i brought a few 1gb sd cards for 50p each 6months back)

alphaniner
December 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
most computers come with a card reader on the front that is bootable.

That's news to me.

markp1989
December 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
That's news to me.

well every oem computer that i have seen a friend or family member buy in the last 4 years has had a card reader on the front.

the ones i have booted from treat them like a (usb) hard drive.

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM

<confession>I discovered an unsecured wifi network recently & out of curiosity I connected to it. You know, one with a "standard" SSID. It didn't take long to discover whose it was by logging into the router (it was one of those combined router/modems), and because I knew the person (who isn't particulalry tech savvy), I immediately changed the SSID & put on some security. One of the proverbial "little birds" has subsequently informed me that they'd been stealing from that connection.</confession>

estamand
December 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You could always just carry around a USB key setup to as bootable but also have the ISO on the key. In the event you come across a computer that cannot boot from USB, simply burn a disk.

whiskeylover
December 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM

You could have just joined him in the shower.

sandyd
December 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I was thinking of buying some business card CD's to burn a few tools such as a mini Linux live CD, Dban, System Rescue CD, or things of the like and carry them around in my wallet. I realize that I could use a USB flash drive, but some older computers won't boot off of a flash drive.

Am I correct in my assumption that buying a business card CD with squared edges (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bcardcd.JPG) is a bad idea, as it won't fit into the mini CD slot of most CD/DVD ROM drives like one with rounded edges would?

Do you think that CD's would last being kept in my wallet? Or would heat from my body or other factors get to them?

some laptops (such as mine) have no trays that come out. instead, its a slot load. those only accept normal sized cds/dvds. if you put those into a laptop, their never gonna come out.

Npl
December 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
some laptops (such as mine) have no trays that come out. instead, its a slot load. those only accept normal sized cds/dvds. if you put those into a laptop, their never gonna come out.Well, just carry a couple of business-card cds with you. Instead of leaving your address you could leave broken drives everywhere.

LinuxFanBoi
December 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I think the card shaped cd's are designed to work in computer cd drives and therefore should work.

I kinda see where he's going with this, I knew a guy who "moonlighted" as a PC repair tech and had business card sized cd with the ends rounded so they would fit in the 3" mini cd tray. The label side was his business card.

He told me he decided it was a bad idea when he got a call from a repeat customer who had a malfunctioning cd-rom drive. He happily quoted him the fee and drove to his house to diagnose it. It seems the customer had a laptop with a slot loading cd-rom drive. when he got the disk out he discovered it was hid "business card" cd that was stuck in the drive.

How much do you think he was able to charge for his services?

t0p
December 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I kinda see where he's going with this, I knew a guy who "moonlighted" as a PC repair tech and had business card sized cd with the ends rounded so they would fit in the 3" mini cd tray. The label side was his business card.

He told me he decided it was a bad idea when he got a call from a repeat customer who had a malfunctioning cd-rom drive. He happily quoted him the fee and drove to his house to diagnose it. It seems the customer had a laptop with a slot loading cd-rom drive. when he got the disk out he discovered it was hid "business card" cd that was stuck in the drive.

How much do you think he was able to charge for his services?

I hope he charged a respectable per-hour rate, plus call-out fee. He didn't force the guy to stick the card in his CD drive did he?

Seems to me like an excellent way to drum up extra business...

LinuxFanBoi
December 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I hope he charged a respectable per-hour rate, plus call-out fee. He didn't force the guy to stick the card in his CD drive did he?

Seems to me like an excellent way to drum up extra business...

I hope you're kidding:neutral:

Corfy
December 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM

First off, the business card CDs I have seen only hold about 50 MB. The only distribution I know of that will fit a LiveCD in that size is Damn Small Linux (in fact, fitting onto business card CDs is most of the reason they keep below 50 MB). DSL certainly has some advantages, but if you are used to distros like Ubuntu, it can be hard to use. For reference, SystemRescueCD is over 100 MB, I'm not sure about Dban.

As long as the CD drive has a tray of some sort that pops out, you won't have any problem with business card CDs. The type of drive where you push the CD into a slot until the machine pulls the CD in (like most Macs, or like CD players in a car) won't be able to handle that type of CD.

And you don't want to keep the CD in your wallet. Heat won't be a factor so much as pressure from sitting on it.

steveneddy
December 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Just install DSL and a few cool tools that you might need on that CD, just don't put it in your wallet.

A great "Tool Kit" is a small CD with DSL, a flash drive with alternate tools and a portable hard drive.

Put all of that in the portable hard drive case and use that as your tool kit.

Use the portable hard drive to move any personal files from the machine you are working on in case a reinstall in necessary.

That was my arsenal for years and it was a fool proof method of staying prepared and keeping it in a small package.

CharlesA
December 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Flash drive > business card cds.

LinuxFanBoi
December 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Flash drive > business card cds.

Yes, but more expensive and not as clever when handing them out to potential customers. :D

Warpnow
December 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Business card CDs are not cheap. I looked into them for a project I was working on...rather pricy.

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM
<confession>I discovered an unsecured wifi network recently & out of curiosity I connected to it. You know, one with a "standard" SSID. It didn't take long to discover whose it was by logging into the router (it was one of those combined router/modems), and because I knew the person (who isn't particulalry tech savvy), I immediately changed the SSID & put on some security. One of the proverbial "little birds" has subsequently informed me that they'd been stealing from that connection.</confession>
Did you inform the owner that you did that? Because if they are really not very tech savvy you probably locked them out of their own wireless.

lisati
December 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Did you inform the owner that you did that? Because if they are really not very tech savvy you probably locked them out of their own wireless.

Told them this morning. AFAIK this person doesn't use wireless, but has a desktop plugged into the router. And one of the neighbours (whom I know) accidentally let slip that they'd been using it, possibly without permission.

There's a slightly relevant news item at http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=108230

Crunchy the Headcrab
December 8th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Lol. Good job then.

It's always fun breaking the news to people about how unsafe their networks are. I was explaining to my girlfriend the other day how the internet works and I think I mad her a little afraid of it. Everyone should be a LITTLE afraid of it.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Business card CDs are not cheap. I looked into them for a project I was working on...rather pricy.

Yeah... the cheapest pack I saw was around $200. Blah. I use an sdhc 8gb card with a usb and sd card adapter and keep the adapters on a key chain and the sd card in my phone. Actual business cards are dirt cheap.