PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] customized faster booting: auto-login lockscreen

caue.rego
December 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I currently have used the Login Screen Preferences window pane to make auto-login in my user and the Startup Applications Preferences window pane to add the command: gnome-screensaver-command --lock

Is this safe?

I should probably not be doing this, but it would be nice if I could left this setting like this because the login process become faster, since I usually just leave it running while I do something else.

Boondoklife
December 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
well that would depend on how well you keep an eye on your laptop and if you have a bios password. really your data is never safe unless it is all encrypted, and most people dont take the time to do this cause it is just over board... for the most part.

there is a downside with the gnome-keyring as it shows your passwords once you are logged in and if you try to use something that needs the default key ring then you will be prompted there too.

personally just a bios password is good enough for me, i have mine set to auto-login and havent had an issue.

caue.rego
December 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I actually have backups of whatever is most important to me, as I believe that's the safest thing to do. easy to do since I don't need to backup images, sounds or videos.

so I don't really care if someone uses my computer, I'm just trying to reduce risks of having to format it.

I had someone really stupid who lived with me using my notebook on windows xp with no anti-virus or whatsoever for over 6 months, I got probably plenty of tojans on it, but even then all I did was using MS config to keep it running. In fact I gave that notebook and my dad is still using it with same installation.

if I were afraid of someone "stealing my precious info", as many people are, I'd certainly go with bios password as well. but I like to leave it open for anyone to use it. and I always leave an "anonymous guest" account for that, with limited access of course.

thing is, hardly anyone else use my machine nowadays, and I was thinking in making it easier on me. I did not knew about the keyring issues. so even the regular lockscreen is completely unsafe?

at any pace, I just found out that my technique did not work and I removed the auto-login. at least logging in is not as slow as the boot anyway.