PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu time capsule ... reading the coffee beans ... in 5 years ...

u.b.u.n.t.u
December 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ubuntu is now 5 years old. On 20 October 2004 Ubuntu began the journey with a vision for the future.

We know the history and we know the present, but what of the future? What does the future hold for Ubuntu?

Looking at the Ubuntu coffee beans, which I will pass around, have a look, a reflection, a ponder of things to come and make your predictions.

Then let this thread be locked, a time capsule and in 5 years let us come back to see what we said!

Looking at the Ubuntu coffee beans now, in the month of October in the year 2014 I see ...

* Ubuntu and not Windows is the most widely used operating system. In fact, the Window proprietary operating system isn't even in the top five. All are linux based.

* Microsoft's Windows as a proprietary operating system still exists, but it is their linux version, Windows L, that is fast becoming their major focus of business.

* With the expanse of open source, gaming is now largely done on linux, though emulators to play the old Windows games are available for purchase from Microsoft.

* Apple too have opened to the new open source world of computing, but in a different manner to that of Microsoft. Linux and Apple now largely run each others software. Apple has positioned itself as the premium of the computing experience with fashion statement hardware and designer software.

* There is more that can be added, such as the nation that built it's own kernel for military purposes before that was leaked and subsequently found to be flawed. The attempts of various media copyright holders to politically-patent the internet, which too failed. Though "Netbig Brother" now exists in that all communications are constantly monitored. On linux operating systems of all things!

* Oh and I should add that software piracy is pretty much a thing of the past. Games are free and only the optional extras cost real money. Most recording artists release their music straight to the net and make money through hard copy optical discs which are now regarded as status symbols, signs of loyalty and rewarding good music. Even Hollywood is in the process of testing "a threater in your home" with new certification sold to computers that meeting the "reel experience" as the adverting blurp goes. They actually paid an advertising company $100,000 Euro to come up with that! Some things never change!

So that my Ubuntu fellow travellers is what I see when I look at the Ubuntu coffee beans.

I hold the Ubuntu coffee cup out, who will read the Ubuntu coffee beans next?

* passes cup ...

earthpigg
December 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The vast majority of people you are likely encounter on the street have no idea what "Linux" or "Ubuntu" is.

Ubuntu replaced a primarily orange theme with a primarily brown theme a while back.

It is almost Christmas!

I am dating a girl named Sarah.

Ubuntu has a six month release schedule. The 10.04 LTS release is a few months out.

Empathy recently (9.10) replaced Pidgin as the default IM client.

Firefox 3.5.5 is currently the latest release.

Python 3.1.1 is currently the latest release.

Within the last week, Google's default page has a new flashy thing where everything not the search box fades in gradually instad of popping up all at once.

Speaking of google... how about this Chrome OS thing? allegedly, the wave of the future. A few Chromium OS builds are floating around.

I, personally, am seriously considering purchasing a Nokia N900 because it has Maemo, based on Debian, and there is no hack or workaround required to get to a root terminal.

DeadSuperHero
December 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Ooh, these kinds of threads are always fun to speculate in. My predictions:

Microsoft Office will fully support ODF.

Ubuntu will probably still be the main mainstream linux distribution, and with advancements like Clutter the user experience team will find a way to make Ubuntu more appealing to people. Libraries will be used to sync Ubuntu Music Store with most popular devices.

Mac OS11 will have come out, and will use a paradigm that I will probably hate even more than the Dock. (Call me old fashioned, I like Window lists)

KDEnlive will be the premiere video editor for linux, rivaling Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas on Windows.

Pulseaudio will have been completely fixed, allowing for better audio recording and music mixing apps to be crated on both GTK and Qt platforms.

E17 will probably look sexier due to their inclusion of the Elementary animation/scenegraph framework.

Symbian's kernel that was open-sourced earlier in 2009 will be adopted into a full desktop operating system using Qt and QML (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/12/qt-gets-cuter-46-brings-expanded-platform-support.ars) (scroll down to Ryan Paul's segment on it).

GNU/HURD will actually probably be done right about by this time, but for the sake of idiocy they'll probably adopt GnuSTEP.

libdispatch will finally get ported over to Linux and get used. ThreadWeaver for KDE will have a specialized backend for it.

Gaming will be completely reinvented on FOSS platforms because a Free Software gaming service similar to Steam will launch, complete with easy-to-use developer tools.

Social Networking will once again be redefined for FOSS enthusiasts will use a Free Software alternative to Facebook. This service will of course sync with identi.ca, as well as have a dedicated XMPP-based service.

earthpigg
December 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
The Ubuntu Software Center will contain a hand full of mainstream PC video games, and

The Ubuntu Music Store will contain a hand full of mainstream artists, in addition to some great stuff in the Public Domain.

beloved88
December 9th, 2009, 07:08 AM
People like us will still be speculating as to when *nix based OS's will take over the market
Linux distros will actually be incredibly common in developing countries that are emerging, like Cambodia, and will be an international standard prefered over windows in many circle
Windows will still have a majority over desktop PC's, although it will be something like 75-85% only. They will be specializing in more touch interface computers.
ChromeOS will hold a huge sector of the market for netbooks and nettops
Legacy TV service (satelite and cable) will be quickly loosing ground to internet based TV.
Google will be trading at $1500 a share and Microsoft at a mere $7-8

Aflack
December 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Apple will have a lot more market share
Games will start being developed for more than windows.
Uhh ubuntu will most likely gain popularity.
and i will be 18 or 19.:popcorn:

FuturePilot
December 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Ubuntu will gain enough popularity to get noticed by a few hardware manufacturers.

64bit will be the standard.

More things like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1349801) will probably happen as Ubuntu gains more popularity.

SSDs will become cheap enough that all netbooks will have them instead of hard drives

There will be a myriad of threads on how 14.10 sucks and people are going back to 14.04

There will also be a ton of threads on how people are tired of others discussing Arch Linux on this forum.

People will still be freaking out about Mono.

People will be raving about how awesome Gnome 3.x is.

NoaHall
December 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
The first successful, in the wild, socially engineered malware was released and found yesterday. Number of known affected? So far, it's about 3. The fix? Made after about 20 minutes, along with a detector.

Things will only get worse from here on.

hardfire_avk
December 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ubuntu will not have any restricted drivers and codecs and manufacturers will not have anything other than ubuntu to work on !

Microsoft and Apple will be creating a ubuntu flavour of all of their applications, so that the majority are not missed ;-)

And yeah, i agree piracy will past then, everything will be free..

forrestcupp
December 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Then let this thread be locked, a time capsule and in 5 years let us come back to see what we said!

Then, let it be trashed for necroposting. :)

Windows will be using 3D hologram displays and getting input from our brainwaves, while Linux will still be using the same desktop and command line concepts on the same old monitors because its users complain about having a memory footprint of more than 768 MB even though the standard at that time will be 15 TB of RAM. But hey, typing commands in a CLI is a lot faster than innovation, isn't it? ;)

MaxIBoy
December 17th, 2009, 03:30 AM
The Internet will no longer exist, except as a gateway to services like FreeNet and Tor.

Synthetic-diamond CPUs will make silicon a thing of the past. As clock speeds exceed 10 Ghz, emulators and virtual machines will become a truly viable choice even for high-end gaming. In addition, separate graphics hardware no longer makes sense, and software rendering returns with a vengeance. These two factors combine, leading to much-increased freedom of choice for operating systems.

The filesharing genie will not go back into the bottle. The increasingly obsolete 20th century entertainment industry crucifies a few people, but otherwise watches helpless while...

Copyright and patent laws are flaunted as they become increasingly impossible to follow.

Servers become rarer and rarer as P2P technologies are recognized for their inherent advantages.

Along with servers, Linux fades from its peak popularity. Then it reinvents itself as a totally desktop-oriented OS and takes the world by storm, under the co-leadership of Con Kolivas (who has been hired at the New Transmeta) and Linus Torvalds (who has been hired at the New SCO.)

xuCGC002
December 17th, 2009, 03:48 AM
64-Bit becomes the standard
Ubuntu remains top dog for Linux distros.
Microsoft continues to lose desktop market share, dropping from 91.26% to around 65%, and their server operating systems will be discontinued and promptly replaced with BSD.
Apple rises to be around 25% market share
Linux will become slighly more popular, with a prompt 8% or so of market share. While not exactly a household name, many will know about it.
BSD developers will finally stop forking like mad, resulting in better hardware support, gaining it around 1.5% market share.
Solaris is discontinued and Sun concentrates on improving its other products.
Other Operating Systems stay in their place.

ssulaco
December 17th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Ubuntonians will still have to fire up Windows to watch Netflix streaming movies