PDA

View Full Version : Karmic or Lucid?

Gias Kay
December 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hello all,

I am currently using Jaunty and considering reinstalling my Ubuntu. I am wondering if it is a good idea to do this now with Karmic, or wait until Lucid, whic by itself is LTS.

Reasons involved including Karmic seemingly not yet supports ext4 as boot sector, and the fact (?) that Karmic is haunted by a massive amount of bugs. If anyone can confirm my concern is true, I would be very appreciated.

earthpigg
December 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
if the LTS model appeals to you, i would wait until a few months after the 4th month of 2010 and then install 10.04.

AllRadioisDead
December 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Stick with Jaunty if you can.

Gias Kay
December 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
@earthpigg: Yes indeed, but for the record LTS only and literally means long-term support; it doesn't guarantee a more stable/bugfree environment, as we can see in Hardy.

@ihermit: Which means Karmic is really terrible?

earthpigg
December 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
@earthpigg: Yes indeed, but for the record LTS only and literally means long-term support; it doesn't guarantee a more stable/bugfree environment, as we can see in Hardy.

that is why i suggested waiting till a few months after release.

Hardy released with a beta version of firefox, among other issues, but is now pretty rock solid. in my opinion, and assuming you aren't running it on hardware that didn't exist when hardy was released.

phrostbyte
December 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM

@ihermit: Which means Karmic is really terrible?

This time around there will be two beta months. It might result in less bugs, who knows. :p

Nerd King
December 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Karmic's just fine. Like every release you can get unlucky with your hardware and have to tweak to get it running but in general it's an excellent release and I'm enjoying using it immensely.

jespdj
December 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I am currently using Jaunty and considering reinstalling my Ubuntu. I am wondering if it is a good idea to do this now with Karmic, or wait until Lucid, whic by itself is LTS.
Lucid is still under heavy development. An alpha release is not even out yet. It's not stable. If you're a developer, or interested in helping the development of the next Ubuntu release, you can use it. If you need a stable operating system, don't use Lucid at this moment.

adeypoop
December 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
depends what you want. in my case there were improved intel video drivers in karmic, plus i liked the sound of other new features (like ext4, software centre and ubuntu one) so i had an easy decision to upgrade. If you have no reason to upgrade then you may as well just wait (unless you fancy tinkering around with a new install just for the heck of it).

For the record I have found Karmic to be an excellent version of Ubuntu and happily recommend it. There may be some minor bugs but nothing thats particularly bothered me.

Sand & Mercury
December 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Karmic works much better for some than it does for others. Personally I'd recommend sticking with Jaunty, but by all means give Karmic a shot first and see how it treats you. You'll be waiting a while if you're holding out for 10.04.