PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop gets no video in 9.10 /9.04 live cd

FORCED-INDUCTN
December 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hello, I'm having video issues on my new laptop. I'm trying to do a clean install of ubuntu 9.10 (preferably but another version will do) and basically I lose video "after" the livecd boots (I can see the boot splash and then it goes dark, then I can hear the noise ubuntu makes as it logs-in in) but I don't get any video.

Ubuntu 9.04 does the same thing, however ubuntu 8.10 boots just fine and installs and continues to function fine, until I install the ATI drivers then I get the same symptoms.

The laptop functions just fine in windows 7 so I'm pretty sure the machine is alright.

Specs:
Intel Core2 Extreme X9000 2.80 GHz
2 GB of DDR3 (1066? I think)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2 (512)+crossfire

**EDIT** well Debian 5.0 with kde3 is working, wonder why Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 don't. Maybe its the versions of xorg? If I can't get Ubuntu to work I guess I'll switch to Debian for now. Although still no proprietary drivers, breaks the system and gives me a black screen. Reminds me of my other laptop with SLI, I had to specify the bus ID for the "master" graphics card, although that apparently has no affect on this machine.

Hope that's enough info, let me know if you need more.
Thanks in advance :)
--will