PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating GRUB 2

rishabh_destiny
December 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
My grub is not upgraded. Each time I update to new linux headers, it just adds it to the menu list without deleting the previous ones.

This is the output when i run update-grub in the terminal.

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-16-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin

byStanderone
December 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
...hope this thread helps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

rishabh_destiny
December 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
No help. According to the official Grub 2 wiki, the grub should automatically pick up the updates and delete the previous ones. Since the grub 2 is not having the menu.lst file, which I can edit manually, I don't know how to resolve the issue

rishabh_destiny
December 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
*bump*

rrcs
December 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Use Synaptic to uninstall the old linux-image kernels :D

byStanderone
December 13th, 2009, 03:31 AM
...grub2 doesn't have menu.lst, just : sudo update-grub and the configuration files with update itself.

QIII
December 13th, 2009, 04:15 AM
As long as the kernel exists, GRUB2 will add it either when a new kernel is updated or when you run update-grub or update-grub2.

Remember that GRUB2 is a beta.

To remove older kernels from the GRUB list, you will need to remove the kernels themselves. You can do that via Synaptic by searching on "linux-generic" and "linux-headers" and uninstalling the older ones. Make SURE you are uninstalling the oldest ones.

However, I would recommend keeping at least the kernel prior to the one you intend to use, in case the newest kernel gives you problems.

You can edit some portions of what GRUB2 does using the 40_custom file and the like. But you should read up on it first. Do a forum search on "ranch hand". He has done a lot of work and put together a great tutorial.