PDA

View Full Version : Entering a disk using the bootable cd and unlocking files

Mgpgebert
December 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I have an error 18 and the only way i can access my hard disk is through the bootable cd.How can i unlock my files using my password before i save them.

mbzn
December 7th, 2009, 07:53 AM
from the live cd you can just use the sudo command (no password needed).

lisati
December 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have an error 18 and the only way i can access my hard disk is through the bootable cd.How can i unlock my files using my password before i save them.

Forum Feedback & Help
Report technical problems with the website here (i.e. broken features), or ask questions pertaining to forum features.

Mgpgebert
December 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I really need more help for using the sudo command.Thnks

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM
You
sudo mount /dev/yourdrive /where/you/want/to/mount
cd /where/you/mounted Then you have access to your files.

Mgpgebert
December 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/media/home/aurore/images/photos
mount: can't find /dev/media/home/aurore/images/photos in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
This is what i get!! All i want is to get the access to those files so that i may copy them. Other wise can i repair this error 18 ?

JamesParnell
December 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
wouldnt it be /dev/sda1(or whatever partition it is).....

i am a total noob to this stuff, so its probably wrong...

JamesParnell
December 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+fix+grub+error+18

google is your friend

Mgpgebert
December 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My hard disk is identified as 39.6 GB media

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
December 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Dude... come on. Your drive is actually hd0 which is aliased as an /dev/hda (ide drive) or /dev/sda (sata drive) and each partition will be /dev/sda#. This can be found using
fdisk -l. So... run fdisk and it will show you what each partition is named then you make a folder in /media or wherever you want to mount it. Such as /media/mydrive using
sudo mkdir /media/mydrive. Then you take the information that fdisk gave you to use
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/mydrive. Then you can open a folder in the drive and do as thou wilt.