PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu incremental Updates -- very important

savimayur
December 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM
After using for a reasonable time the most annoying thing i noticed is about updates.

Updates are fine, they keep your system updated.

But updates requires a complete file to be downloaded.

Ubuntu team should think of updates by way of patches. This will reduce the volume of traffic generated by ubuntu updates.

Love you all.

dcstar
December 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM
After using for a reasonable time the most annoying thing i noticed is about updates.

Updates are fine, they keep your system updated.

But updates requires a complete file to be downloaded.

Ubuntu team should think of updates by way of patches. This will reduce the volume of traffic generated by ubuntu updates.

And your general support question that you have posted in the general support questions forum is???

Sef
December 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Странник
December 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Do you mean like deltarpms? I think it was discussed somewhere

Nerd King
December 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Deltarpm-style updates would be wonderful, and should be considered, it'd reduce the strain on those providing mirrors for ubuntu.

szymon_g
December 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
deltas are one of the best features in fedora/opensuse.
shame that ubuntu/debian devs didn't 'discovered' it yet :~

Sand & Mercury
December 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I've thought that too, though having to download whole packages has never really bothered me unless it's OpenOffice or something.

inobe
December 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
i like the get it over with approach then being bothered every fifteen minutes.

diesch
December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
See http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/13/

t0p
December 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I don't think there's much of an issue here. Most updates are very small: under a megabyte I'd say. And those that are larger than a megabyte are usually only a few MB. How big are the largest? 40 MB or so? Still pretty small.

Also, when update manager says there are, for example, 8 files to download, you don't have to download all 8 at once. You can grab a couple, then a couple more at a later date.

No problem here. Move along.

openuniverse
December 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Chame_Wizard
December 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Updates are much better than patches(see M$),since you can have a lot of fixed software mix.

BrokenKingpin
December 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The way it works now is fine with me.

RiceMonster
December 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Fedora does this sort of thing with delta rpms

FuturePilot
December 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
There was some discussion about this https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-July/028529.html