PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Low graphics mode error but graphics works fine?

Entropy512
December 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 with the 190.42 Nvidia drivers from the repository at http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html

Things have been working well for a while, but after applying some updates two days ago (I don't remember which, although a new kernel was added), I get a "low graphics mode" error on startup. This occurs even if I boot a kernel that was working fine before.

However, if I choose the option in the error dialog to go to a console login, I don't get dropped to the console. KDM comes up instead, and Xorg/KDM/KDE is 100% functional, including VDPAU hardware acceleration!

So why am I getting a "low graphics mode" error when it seems like my graphics configuration is fine? I'm not sure where to even start trying to debug this.

cnja
December 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I've got the same issues,

Dell Laptop CPX-j with ATI Mobility video.

sending a bug report to the guru's, hopefully they can figure out what happened.

fxo
December 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Same behaviour in my laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 3400 card. It seem to be a problem with kdm, I have try to install gdm and run kdm destok session and all seem to work fine.
Fxo

Entropy512
December 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well, at least that means my use of the Avenard repo is not the cause, since that's only for NVidia + MythTV users.

cnja
December 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
after some head scratching, and much reading... I decided to just reinstall all the video drivers and software for my laptop, ATI and MACH64. did a reboot, and all is good.