PDA

View Full Version : Buying ASUS desktops in the US

PC_load_letter
December 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Hi everyone,
It's time for me to buy a desktop (for my son actually) with the intention of putting Ubuntu on it. I want to buy an ASUS desktop, so I went to the US web site and to my surprise they have no desktop line!!!!???? So I went to the global web site and there is plenty, so what's the deal? Is ASUS not going to sell their desktops in the US any longer?

My mind is made up to get an Essentio CT or CM (whichever can be expanded to 8GB of ram) but I don't want to run the risk of buying
something with no future ASUS support.

I'm also open to other suggestions, let me hear what you think.

Thanks.

drawkcab
December 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hop on ebay and order from an outfit in Taiwan or somesuch. They'll probably give you a great deal and cover your shipping. Just don't expect a warranty and be prepared to troubleshoot your own support.

Exodist
December 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,
It's time for me to buy a desktop (for my son actually) with the intention of putting Ubuntu on it. I want to buy an ASUS desktop, so I went to the US web site and to my surprise they have no desktop line!!!!???? So I went to the global web site and there is plenty, so what's the deal? Is ASUS not going to sell their desktops in the US any longer?

My mind is made up to get an Essentio CT or CM (whichever can be expanded to 8GB of ram) but I don't want to run the risk of buying
something with no future ASUS support.

I'm also open to other suggestions, let me hear what you think.

Thanks.
Dont worry , the websites are ran by two different groups of people. Its common to find more on the overseas sites like Taiwan then the US ones. Support is the same tho.