PDA

View Full Version : New To Ubuntu

digital-axis
December 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Hey everyone,
Well i have been using Slackware since 1994, and decided with the release of Slackware 13 which i found to be a huge disappointment. Its time to move one! I am currently installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop which i use for work and im sure you will be hearing plenty from me in the way of requesting help/advice. On a side note, i am a c++ developer, and am willing to help with any projects anyone needs me on:) Love helping the OS community:)

-Digi

nowin4me
December 7th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Welcome and please take a seat. Just not the one i'm sitting on (not being selfish I just have a very bony bum).

witeshark17
December 7th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Best wishes to you in this. My bro and myself have up graded a Toshiba Satellite from 8.04 LTS and a Dell Inspiron from 9.04 both to 9.10 and we're both extremely happy with it! :D

joey-elijah
December 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome!

Also there are a ton of projects that would love help, i'm sure, so you won't be kept twiddling your thumbs for very long!

Sealbhach
December 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well i have been using Slackware since 1994

im sure you will be hearing plenty from me in the way of requesting help/advice.

Dude, if you've been using Slackware since 1994 then I think we'll be the ones coming to you asking for advice.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and happy Ubuntuing!

andrew.46
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hi digital,

Well i have been using Slackware since 1994, and decided with the release of Slackware 13 which i found to be a huge disappointment.

Are you referring to the version of KDE that shipped with Slackware 13? I believe the newer version in -current has fixed much that was considered wrong..... Not entirely sure as I use xfce with Slackware 13.0 and I have found absolutely no problems with the usual solid Slackware offering.

Andrew

Techsnap
December 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM
If you really have used Slackware constantly from 1994 you're not going to like APT one bit. pktools are the reason I don't like using any other distro.

Also like andrew.46 said, you could try -current also KDE 3.5 can be installed.

vicshrike
December 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
dude, if you've been using slackware since 1994 then i think we'll be the ones coming to you asking for advice.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and happy ubuntuing!

.+1

user1397
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I just can't believe you hadn't tried any other distros since 1994...holy christ! The temptation! :popcorn:

shailendra
December 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu community...