PDA

View Full Version : Is hunting illegal in Australia?

t0p
December 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I don't understand why Gino D'Acampo and Stuart Manning are in trouble (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2009/dec/06/gino-dacampo-animal-cruelty-charges) for killing and eating a rat? I've seen rats killed in all sorts of horrible ways, quite legally, in vermin control.

Paqman
December 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
From the article:

"There is a code of conduct in New South Wales that dictates how animals can be used. The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable."

So no, nothing to do with hunting.

Ylon
December 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I don't understand why Gino D'Acampo and Stuart Manning are in trouble (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2009/dec/06/gino-dacampo-animal-cruelty-charges) for killing and eating a rat? I've seen rats killed in all sorts of horrible ways, quite legally, in vermin control.

I think that the problem is killing animal for public entrainment, like tv-show.

lisati
December 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
It's an animal welfare issue. The news item I saw suggested if they were genuinely lost and in need, things would have been seen differently.

NoaHall
December 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Completely over-reacting and insanely far.

t0p
December 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM
It's an animal welfare issue. The news item I saw suggested if they were genuinely lost and in need, things would have been seen differently.

I'm feeling a little peckish. If I popped out, caught a rat, slew it, grilled it and ate it in an open sandwich, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be breaking the law here in the UK.

While I'm not absolutely sure wrt the law concerning the killing of rats, I know *for a fact* that if Farmer Giles gave me permission, I could go and shoot a bunny on his land and bake it in a pie. Blackbirds too, probably. Are rats special or something?

lisati
December 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
For the benefit of those who might be wondering what the fuss is about.

From http://www.3news.co.nz/Rat-cooking-lands-reality-TV-show-in-hot-water-/tabid/418/articleID/132913/cat/56/Default.aspx

"The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable. The concern is this was done purely for the cameras," David O'Shannessy of the New South Wales RSPCA told the British Broadcasting Corp.

Another link to a news story: http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/rat-in-my-risotto-3230880

chucky chuckaluck
December 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
i would've thought rabbit hunting would be encouraged.

p_quarles
December 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I think that harming animals for the purpose of entertainment is probably illegal in most places. Killing them for food isn't, and it sounds like this involved both food and entertainment. The prosecutor sounds like he's trying to set a precedent against this kind of thing. I can't get really upset about reality show participants being held to account for the stupid things they do, honestly. And this has nothing to do with the right of anyone to hunt or raise animals for food: this is just about doing it for the show.

hobo14
December 7th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Hunting is legal, depending on what you hunt.

I've only had experience hunting kangaroos (I grew up on a farm, where they're considered a pest, and legally culled), but I think the following are legal to hunt (they are all pests - introduced species):

rabbits (100% sure)
pigs (100% sure)
camels
horses - culled with rifles from helicopters
foxes (100%) - with a gun, not horses and hounds
wild dogs (100%) - not dingos
wild cats (100%)

Also, ducks are legal to hunt in duck season :( - (I don't agree with this)

You can pay to legally hunt deer on a deer farm.

I think the NT recently allowed croc hunting licences, because their numbers were getting too high?

Hwæt
December 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I think the NT recently allowed croc hunting licences, because their numbers were getting too high?

RIP Steve Irwin. :(

audiomick
December 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Hunting with a license for non protected animals is allowed in Australia.

What is described in the linked news reports has nothing to do with hunting.

Don't forget, those people who are "stranded" in the jungle are surrounded by the TV production facilities. Someone is pointing the camera at them. They are also there voluntarily. If they are really hungry or in trouble, they can get out. Something like killing a rat and eating it can only be interpreted as a type of exhibitionism.

A version of that show runs here in Germany, and I think it is utter crap. I feel proud of my native country, Australia, for giving the people that participate in such rubbish a slap on the fingers.