PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI card and Compiz and codecs

dougalkerr
December 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hey guys my ATI Radeon HD 3450 is and AMD card and not Intel. Does this make a difference because the kernel version of my Karmic is 2.6.28 and not .31.
Also, I just booted to Crunchbang to watch the BBC iPlayer coz Crunchbang has the codecs all sussed. I have to do nothing but, enjoy the videos. In Karmic I can't even find AdobeAIRInstaller.bin to allow getlibs to install it and Adobe engine picks up my 32 bit version of Karmic as 64 bit too.
So there is a ways to go. I know that the codecs are not installed by default in Ubuntu but, in this day and age when a lot of peoples' web browsing experience is depending upon codecs for this player and that - surely it is time for the Ubuntu team to install them by default like Crunchbang. Although, I will continue to use Ubuntu to see what progress is being made across the board (with the hope that one day it will outstrip Windows for all linux users without comment) - simple versions of Linux like Crunchbang are the perfect way for me to work from day-to-day. There, that's my tuppence worth as the English say...

akashiraffee
December 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I can't actually start anything in the "BBC iPlayer" because I am not in the UK, but looks to me like it is just a regular Flash interface -- they are just giving it a fancy name. They also refer to flash on the site.

I installed ubuntu 9.10 32-bit a few days ago; the first time I went to a flash site, firefox asked to install a plugin and it was done.

You can always go to adobe and install the flash player for linux, you do not need any AIR libs or whatever. The flash player installs right over the web.

If it is not a plain vanilla Flash file (use "find" in the page source for an .swf file), then notice the BBC has done an incredibly poor job of providing any information at all about the interface on their site.

Finally, why don't you complain to the BBC about their use of non-open source software? That is the real root of the issue. There could easily be an open source flash type player on the web, if large corporations such as the BBC chose to support it. This would make it significantly easier to have the player accessible to everyone, regardless of hardware and operating system.

dougalkerr
December 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Of course you are absolutely correct. I have complained to the BBC before and they have a link now for installing within a Linux environment. Whilst I was browing through my old Threads I came across an entry of my own where I had actually solved my own problem before. It has just been a while since I had to try installing the BBC iPlayer that I had forgotten all about it.
In that thread I pointed out that we should ignore all the pointers to installing anything to do with Adobe because there is a link off Google search which takes us to the BBC iPlayer Desktop Player install.
There is a button for directly installing the player and we should only have to follow this and Hey Presto...

Am I dumb or am I dumb? Think I just answered my own question there...

No comments necessary, thanks.

akashiraffee
December 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Whilst I was browing through my old Threads I came across an entry of my own where I had actually solved my own problem before.

:lolflag:

Even worse is when you KNOW you solved a problem in a thread -- somewhere -- and can't remember how, and then have to spend an hour pouring thru your own drivel looking for it.