PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Cairo-dock with OpenGL

kestrel1
December 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't mind running Cairo-Dock under OpenGL, but if I do certain icons disappear & so does the Cairo-Clock that I have on the desktop. It could be down to the graphics card that I am running. NVidia Geforce4 MX440.
I have attached a screen shot to show what I mean.
Cairo-dock runs fine if I do not use OpenGL. Any ideas.

kestrel1
December 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Any ideas?

AlanR8
December 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
No answer for you Kestrel 1 but I've been using Cairo for a while now and like it a lot!

I don't use OpenGL, I don't want or need the extra graphical effects. I find the dock is quick and efficient as it is.

kestrel1
December 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
This is true. I like the dock, so if I can't find a solution I will still use it.
Cheers

Claus7
December 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hello,

if you use cairo-dock with openGL, you can monitor your pc and see how much cpu it costs. Since this card is old enough, I guess that your pc is old enough as well. So in order to support such a feature it takes a lot of resources. In other words: I do not think that this card and this pc is capable enough to "hold" cairo with opengl.

I have heard that for new systems this is consuming as well. Yet, you never know. If you find something, let us know.

Regards!

AlanR8
December 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
As an addition to my original comment.

I have the Cairo System Monitor running in the dock WITHOUT OpenGL. Looking at it as I'm typing this message, the CPU is running between 0.5% and 3.2% so the overhead is low with Fire Fox open. If I run the cursor up and down the dock a few times....

1) Just because I can!

2) Just because it looks cool!

CPU utilisation will go up to about 45% for a second or two. Loading FF will take the CPU up to about 50% but my average idle time while browsing is normally way less than 10%.

That's on Karmic 9.10 with the Mac4Lin theme installed as shown in the screen shot below. Note CPU rose to 22% whilst doing the snap shot!

I'm also connected to Mobile Broadband, via Bluetooth and my Nokia Navigator mobile phone....why pay 15 per month for a "dongle"!!!

saltmore
December 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I have seen this a couple of times with cairo. Out of the 30 or so installs it has always been with a video card with low amounts of RAM.

fabounet
December 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I think that a GeForce4 is too old to run GLX-dock.
not because it uses a lot the graphic card, but because the NVidia drivers for this card don't support OpenGL correctly.

kestrel1
December 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks, I did think that might be the case. I will have to wait until I can afford a better rig then.