PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error Booting after Today's Update

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
So I installed the Updates today through the update manager as normal, when prompted to restart I did so.
Now whenever I try to load Ubuntu i get the following menu

'GNUGRUB version 1.97~beta4
minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible commands completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device/file completions.'

Any help would be appreciated as I have no idea what to do from here to get it to load into Ubuntu.

Thanks

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Did you install ubuntu or wubi with wubi.exe?

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I did it through the windows installer onto a seperate hhd. Vista is on c: Ubuntu on d:

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
First of all, instead of the [ubuntu] mark for the thread you should have used [wubi], it's in the options too. It makes a difference.

Look at post number #10 here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339203

That will help you. If you are sure ubuntu is on another hdd and not just another partition on the same hdd, in the instructions instead of /dev/sda1 use /dev/sdb1 (that means first partition on second drive). If it doesn't work, try other values depending where you have wubi installed.
I hope it can help you.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Sorry.
Okay will try that Thanks

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sorry.
Okay will try that Thanks

No problem, common mistake. But for example if I knew it was wubi I wouldn't have to ask you the question first. :) I hope the instructions will get you going.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I tried the #10 on that thread to no solution. havign changed the Dev/sda1 to sdb1 i went up to sdb5 and still nothing. It keeps telling me that the file is not found.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Are you sure it's on another PHYSICAL drive? The letter D: doesn't mean another hdd. You said it's on another hdd.

In windows open Disk Management (windows button + R, type diskmgmt.msc, hit Enter) and see where D: is. If you can boot into windows.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
On disk management I get
Disk 0 which gives me acer c: and Data d: along the same line.
I take this means they are both on the same disk, so are partitions?
If so then sorry my mistake..again. Not so good with computers at the moment

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Ok, then use /dev/sda2 (second partition on first hdd). That should work.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Just tried dev/sda2 and sda3 but neither worked. is the following code the right one?
set root=(loop0)
Linux /boot/umlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

When i get to here it tells me the file is not found.

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Just tried dev/sda2 and sda3 but neither worked. is the following code the right one?
set root=(loop0)
Linux /boot/umlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro

When i get to here it tells me the file is not found.

Well that's what the instructions say. I am not using wubi myself. Go into windows and check whether on D: you have the ubuntu/disks/root.disk file.
Also if ubuntu/boot/umlinuz-2.6.31-14 file is there, depending which file is missing. Maybe you need to use 2.6.31-15 or similar, depending which files are there.
Not exactly sure where they should be since I'm not using wubi, look around on D: in ubuntu folder if there is boot folder, etc. When you find the files remember the path and adjust the command as needed.
The /dev/sda2 should be definitely correct because D: is your second partition on Disk0.

PS. The FILE NAME is vmlinuz, not umlinuz. Which did you try?

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I've just checked the D partition and I have the ubuntu/disks/root.disk but without the 'ro' on the end.
I don't have anything inside the boot folder except an empty folder called grub.

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I also noticed error in the code you wrote. It's not umlinuz, should be vmlinuz. What did you use?

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I think i used Um so i will try it with Vm

Tried doing this and it worked. Then i got a screen that said
'ALERT! /host/ubuntu/disk/root disk does not exist. dropping to shell!
busybox v1.13.3(ubuntu 1.1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell(ash)
enter help for a list of built-in commands
(initramfs)

any ideas?

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Bump. Please help.

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
root disk or root.disk? Be very careful with typing because I don't know what is what. If you typed root disk in your commands it should be with '.' Just type the commands exactly as they are in the link I provided, and use /dev/sda2.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
root.disk is what i used and also what came up as not existing.
No idea what to do next.

darkod
December 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sorry, me too. :(

phillw
December 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know if this posting can help - I had a go with it last nite - and they have a couple of other suggestions - it also has a link to page7 of another thread which is also current

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1339203

Phill.

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have tried all of the advice on your link to no solution. Any ideas?

WriYeDannii
December 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Bump. Anyone have any other ideas?