PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Memory Issues with 9.10 Upgrade

shug0131
December 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi

I'm trying to upgrade from 9.4 to 9.10

It tells me that I need at least 2000MB of space on / .

Now I have set up separate partitions for /boot (45MB) /home (around 200GB) and / (5.5GB). The / partition is 91% full so there is no spare room.

How best to proceed?

Do I have to repartition to give some space from /home to / ? I tried to use gparted but it told me I couldn't unmount either partition. Do I have to create a boot-up disk with gparted on it to do this externally to running Ubuntu? If so where's a reliable place to get such an image?

What would be recommended as a better choice of partition sizes for the future?

Thanks Simon

phillw
December 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi

I'm trying to upgrade from 9.4 to 9.10

It tells me that I need at least 2000MB of space on / .

Now I have set up separate partitions for /boot (45MB) /home (around 200GB) and / (5.5GB). The / partition is 91% full so there is no spare room.

How best to proceed?

Do I have to repartition to give some space from /home to / ? I tried to use gparted but it told me I couldn't unmount either partition. Do I have to create a boot-up disk with gparted on it to do this externally to running Ubuntu? If so where's a reliable place to get such an image?

What would be recommended as a better choice of partition sizes for the future?

Thanks Simon

Hi

5.5 GB for Ubuntu is pretty tight.

As a minimum I'd say 10GB for a Ubuntu install MINIMUM, that'd give you 9GB for Ubuntu & 1GB for swap.

To work out your swap area - as a rule of thumb... it is 1GB or the amount of RAM you have, which ever is the GREATER (512MB RAM = 1GB swap, 2GB RAM = 2GB SWAP)

Obvioulsly, if you can afford more room, then let the Ubuntu area have it - you don't, however need any more swap - regardless of your disk size !

Gparted is available as a boot CD from here --> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Choose CD or USB (If you have a usb & can boot from usb on your machine)

The details of GParted are here --> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

No, you don't have to learn it all !! - Read the Intro to get an idea of it & have a look at any areas you want to.

As always, when partitioning disks - take a backup !!

So, shrink your /home by 5GB and grow your / area by the same amount - you'll have a happy little bunny after that :-)

Regards,

Phill.