PDA

View Full Version : Belgians?

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It's true,Belgium can hardly be seen on a world map.But still,are there any Belgian guys out there?I see people from allover the world,yet no....

frenchn00b
December 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
It's true,Belgium can hardly be seen on a world map.But still,are there any Belgian guys out there?I see people from allover the world,yet no....

I am, or almost. I use debian for server and ubuntu for testing or crashing a beta machine. Other machines, 15 about, are running debian stable.

fromthehill
December 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
there are no belgians because belgium doesn't exist (http://zapatopi.net/belgium/)

underquark
December 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
there are no belgians because belgium doesn't exist (http://zapatopi.net/belgium/)
Darn. I'm going to Flanders next week and have to fly into Belgium to get there.

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
"Gaules" would've been misleading,ancient belges even worse.It would have been kinda weird referring to "that spot" somewhere between France and The Netherlands,wouldn't you agree?

lode
December 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM

I'm from Belgium (I guess).

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Aha,finally someone from the non-existing,from time time emerging from the geographical twilght zone based spot named "Belgium".

speedwell68
December 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Darn. I'm going to Flanders next week and have to fly into Belgium to get there.

What with flanders being in Belgium and all.

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Don't know,it was just there when I was born.

Rackstar
December 6th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Yep, born in raised in the west, living in my university-town Ghent now! I actually saw a fair amount of Belgians around here. As I study computer science, I also see a lot of people using/that are familiar with Ubuntu and Linux in general.

kellemes
December 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Belgium is just a province of The Netherlands, as far as I know.
And Belgians talk funny.. ;-)

koenn
December 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
here.

frenchn00b
December 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
it's bit of a true that in terms of country. country is today, remains, split in 2. :( causing dead-ends time to time

fromthehill
December 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
when I walked trough antwerpen I seriously doubted the existence of belgians:p
maybe I walked trough the wrong neigborhood:D

kellemes
December 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Most Belgians are in The Netherlands, visiting our coffeeshops ;-)

Anyway, I like Belgians, I enjoy there language and are generally better at it as us Dutch.
I enjoy visiting "De Ardennen" with my family and enjoy the wonderful nature and great food.

Metallion
December 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Most Belgians are in The Netherlands, visiting our coffeeshops ;-)

I'm in Japan visiting delicious foods though. :)

koenn
December 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
We tend to avoid Dutch tourists ...
:)

frenchn00b
December 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
We tend to avoid Dutch tourists ...
:)

the Dutch tourists talk funny ... some kind of weird

issih
December 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Does that mean I vanished from reality when I visited brussels a few years ago? :)

Metallion
December 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Does that mean I vanished from reality when I visited brussels a few years ago? :)

Yes

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
YEAH!!Ghent being my hometown,I know there's a big ubuntu community at Ghent's university.But up until now I never got any replies from them.Perhaps you have more luck.
I've only registered last august so that's why I posted this question,haven't seen any up until now.Greetings,John.

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Belgium is just a province of The Netherlands, as far as I know.
And Belgians talk funny.. ;)

Actually we talk normal.It's because the huge fled of people from Antwerp (amongst one)to small villages like Amsterdam (amongst others) the Dutch started talking funny.And they've been doing this since...what..1585
As for being a province.The united netherlands is long since gone fact.;)

Rackstar
December 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
YEAH!!Ghent being my hometown,I know there's a big ubuntu community at Ghent's university.But up until now I never got any replies from them.Perhaps you have more luck.
I've only registered last august so that's why I posted this question,haven't seen any up until now.Greetings,John.

I believe they were even talking about making their own distribution UGentu, for students at University of Ghent. So all things like UGent VPN, mounting your personal data-space at the UGent servers, worked out of the box.. But since network-manager-applet has the VPN extra's, there was no need for an own distribution, I guess.

There is no real Ubuntu-club or something, but the information technology workgroup (Zeus) does organise workshops and more.

It's a fact that there are a lot of different accents in Flanders. People from the province Antwerp barely understand people from West-Flanders. I tend to keep my language as polished as possible, but I can't help my self to talk west-flemish when I'm with my mates.

Belgium also wins the award for most ungovernable country in Europe. That's probably why Van Rompuy became president, he has seen it all :)

dzon65
December 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Didn't know there were awards for that!But that way we're keeping the gold for at least many years!