PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Window decorations gone

smoowis
December 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hey, im new to linux

I have a disc installation of ubuntu 9.1 and install the 96.43.13 nvidia driver recommended to me on first logon

i can then use desktop effects on reboot

i update using update manager and all desktop effects dissapear

i then tried solutions that worked for all the decoration threads ive seen so far.

1.) installing ccsm the window decorations box is checked. replacing the command with emerald --replace (and installing emerald) doesnt work, its back to gtk-window-decorator --replace now

2.) typing in compiz --replace in the terminal (all the text in the terminal has dissapeared along with the border and it is just a white box, as well as the password boxes for things like network keys and elevated privledges)

3.) installing the compiz icon and reenabling stuff. turning off desktop effects or changing window manager to metacity brings the windows borders back

i noted that the wobbly effects plugin works (i have to right click to move windows because the title bar is gone) and libdecoration0 wasnt included in the disc installation so i have tried installing that and no luck

desktop effects worked on jaunty and work before updating, its worrying that this could happen to anyone, i havent changed any settings, just updated

any help is massively appreciated

smoowis
December 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
not particularly sure why i clicked smile but oh well

I have done a(nother) fresh install and the problem has gone. shame it took so long but at least i can enjoy ubuntu now. ill mark this as solved if it doesnt come back and i hope it doesnt happen again :S

smoowis
December 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
fresh install fixed it (suprise -.-), no idea what went wrong or why it wouldnt fix

gunna leave it alone because i cant get steam to launch games under wine. Window LIVE constantly trying to install itself. looks like ill have to stay with windows.........for now :evil:

thx for taking the time to read this though :)