PDA

View Full Version : Nickelback CD Dark Horse Includes "Open" Files.

kevin11951
December 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I don't know how many of you have heard of the rock band Nickelback, but I just found out something interesting.

On their CD "Dark Horse", there are both FLAC and OGG files in sub folders on their album. This fact really surprised me. I have never seen a popular artist do that (at least not in north America).

koleoptero
December 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know how many of you have heard of the rock band Nickelback, but I just found out something interesting.

On their CD "Dark Horse", there are both FLAC and OGG files in sub folders on their album. This fact really surprised me. I have never seen a popular artist do that (at least not in north America).

Way to go Nickelback. :D

daverich
December 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
wow, that must be a very short album...

Kind regards

Dave Rich

kevin11951
December 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Excuse me?

koleoptero
December 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Excuse me?

Indeed, how did they fit the whole album and flac and ogg files in a single cd? Was it as an extra disk?

tom66
December 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Even big FLAC and OGG files are much smaller (around 5-10MB) than the 50-100MB uncompressed CD tracks.

koleoptero
December 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Even big FLAC and OGG files are much smaller (around 5-10MB) than the 50-100MB uncompressed CD tracks.

Actually flac files usually take up 1/4 of the space of uncompressed cd tracks.

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM

interesting, although if you're buying the CD, you can surely rip them yourself. cool nonetheless.

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM

.flac files are not that small, sorry.

cascade9
December 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm not a fan of nickelbacks music, but good on them for doing this. I'd like to know what they did here, but "nickelback- dark horse" flac in a search engine only gives my pesky .torrent links LOL

Actually flac files usually take up 1/4 of the space of uncompressed cd tracks.

No. uncompressed CD is 1411k/sec. 1/4 of that is 350K/sec. I've got a few .flac tracks, -8 (max compression) that are under 500k/sec, but I would guess that on average they are 700-900k/sec. 350k/sec would be an exception.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Could well be a dual layer disc, layer 1 'red book' CDDA, layer 2 data.

Bölvağur
December 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
it is cool that they did that. pretty cool.

Dark Aspect
December 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Its 43 minutes long and the flac files on the cd are 345.7 MB in size. Oh and kevin, NICKELBACK IS AWESOME :)

wersdaluv
December 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
best band in the world

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
lol ^^

Giant Speck
December 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
lol ^^

+1

Frak
December 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
This way you can overlay all of their tracks and find out that they use the same tune over and over...

Go Open Source!

RiceMonster
December 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
best band in the world

You're funny.

madhi19
December 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I think bands have realized that the real money is now on tour and merchandising. No matter how the music is circulating on the net it now about getting the largest Internet following possible. So that instead of doing 100 dates a year they end up doing 200 in larger venues.

That why the music "industry" was freaking out about p2p it was never really about piracy it was about keeping the bands lock down in the old distribution system. The industry was afraid to end up out of the loop and this is exactly what happening!