PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which feature-rich terminal emulator?

DigitalRonin
December 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I spend a lot of time on a Mac, and I'm looking to switch to spending more time using Ubuntu. There are very few programs I really miss from OS X, but the most important one is the iTerm terminal emulator. http://iterm.sourceforge.net/

I've been looking for something with a similar feature set in Ubuntu, but without a lot of luck - searches for 'iterm' and 'terminal' don't find much of any use because they're common words, in this context.

So, I'm asking for recommendations. Here are the features I love about iterm;

* Tabbed terminal sessions (this one is easy)

* Input broadcasting (copy typing to all tabs in a window). Konsole and mrxvt have this, but gnome-terminal doesn't, AFAICT.

* Bookmarks, aka profiles. The important thing is that I can define an easy way to open a terminal with an ssh session onto a specific server.

* Clickable bookmarks (double-click on a bookmark to open a tab for that bookmark - great when you have lots of servers to manage)

* Bookmark folders - Bookmarks can be grouped into folders, and you can open a session on all bookmarks in a folder, simultaneously e.g. with a couple of clicks I can open a terminal window with 20 tabs, each of which is an ssh session onto each of 20 webservers. This is great in combination with input broadcasting.

* Integration with the file manager - dragging a file onto a terminal window puts the full pathname of the file onto the command line.

* Bookmark drawer - a hotkey slides open a drawer containing all the bookmarks in their folder hierarchy.

I don't think all of these features are available in a single terminal emulator on Ubuntu, although I'd love to be proven wrong about that. So, I'm assuming I'll have to learn to replace a lot of these functions with workarounds using scripted commands and .rc files.

So far, mrxvt looks as if it has the most promising feature-set (apart from integration with the file manager, but I can live without that).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a terminal emulator program which has as many of these features as possible, or which can be scripted to simulate them?

Thanks in advance

David

kellemes
December 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Search for something like "linux terminal emulators"

The most features you'll probably find in Konsole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konsole).. I guess.
With Gnome-Terminal close second, Installed by default.