PDA

View Full Version : Linux for females

roast turkey
December 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM
What would you recommend for female teenagers? I heard of Linux for girls,but I don't know if it is really out there. I like eye-candy. I'm an absolute beginner.

ad_267
December 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Hmm, how would that be any different to Linux for everyone else? You can find a whole bunch of themes at http://gnome-look.org. There's a guide for customising the look of Ubuntu/Gnome at http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/guide-to-customizing-ubuntus-look-and-feel/

bumanie
December 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930865) from a little over a year ago - may be what you are looking for.

atboom
December 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Puppy Linux (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy) ? cuz it's, you know, cute and stuff?

aysiu
December 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM
What would you recommend for female teenagers? I heard of Linux for girls,but I don't know if it is really out there. I like eye-candy. I'm an absolute beginner.
Not all female teenagers like the same things.

Just install regular Ubuntu and show how they can change the wallpaper and themes. Let them customize Ubuntu themselves. It's easy to customize.

JDShu
December 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM
My 14 year old sister has no problems with regular Ubuntu.

chris200x9
December 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
some one had to do it (http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html) :D

Bachstelze
December 6th, 2009, 06:19 PM
some one had to do it (http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html) :D

We could have done without it, thank you very much.

Starlight
December 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I don't see why there should be a separate Linux distro for females... we're all human, we aren't that different. :) I think Ubuntu is a good distro for everyone, including beginners.

NoaHall
December 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Why would you need a different operating system version just for girls? (This is a serious question.)

Techsnap
December 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Exactly, why do you need a different distro just because someone is female, just use the same that you think works the best.

Rainstride
December 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM

ubuntu. seriously. just go with normal ubuntu, then hit http://www.gnome-look.org/ and find a theme you like.

Tipped OuT
December 6th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Anyways... Ubuntu is just fine. It's the easiest to use distro, as far as I'm concerened.

I'm 15 and I can easily get everything working with Ubuntu. And if you like customizing your desktop, you can do this easily do this too.

If you have any questions, you can ask in the General Help section.

Zoot7
December 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
My sister is managing Hardy away fine (much better than she did Vista), mind you she's not a teenager but not far off (she's 20).

Hallvor
December 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
What? Hannah Montana Linux is not mentioned yet? :)

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html

aysiu
December 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
What? Hannah Montana Linux is not mentioned yet? :)

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html
It was mentioned.

And that isn't the answer necessarily.

Hannah Montana is for people who like Hannah Montana. Yes, a lot of teenage girls like Hannah Montana. Not all do. And some teenage boys may like Hannah Montana too.

Hannah Montana does not equal teenage girls.

chris200x9
December 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
It was mentioned.

Hannah Montana is for people who like Hannah Montana. Yes, a lot of teenage girls like Hannah Montana. Not all do. And some teenage boys may like Hannah Montana too.

what? Not the answer? Not all girls are the same? Oh no how are we ever going to get an answer to this thread now?!

jeffus_il
December 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Linux is for females, males are also allowed to use it!

blueridgedog
December 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
What would you recommend for female teenagers?

Patience and lots of understanding. I have an 11 year old daughter and must admit that the troubles are starting.

That said, I have seen that my daughter is not brand aware when it comes to operating systems or programs. She is outcome based and happy to use whatever comes her way.

I have her running Vista as it supports my parental control software (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/ - which is only a windows product and which works great). She would run Linux if a similar option were available.

Rainstride
December 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Patience and lots of understanding. I have an 11 year old daughter and must admit that the troubles are starting.

That said, I have seen that my daughter is not brand aware when it comes to operating systems or programs. She is outcome based and happy to use whatever comes her way.

I have her running Vista as it supports my parental control software (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/ - which is only a windows product and which works great). She would run Linux if a similar option were available.

you could just use opendns and set it to block whatever type of site you want.

nothingspecial
December 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
It was mentioned.

I`m so glad I`ve got 2 boys and don`t have to get involved in Hannah Montana, High School Musical etc

pwnst*r
December 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
you hope..

Hallvor
December 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
It was mentioned.

Yes. My bad. Didn`t check the link.

Hannah Montana is for people who like Hannah Montana. Yes, a lot of teenage girls like Hannah Montana. Not all do.

I never claimed that, but teenage girls is their target group.

bshosey
December 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
My Teenage girl likes Kubuntu. My son likes ubuntu with the edubuntu packages. My wife Hates Windows but uses it for gaming. My kids are like me. Use what works best for you with less resources. Here is a story for you.

son when he was 7: Dad can I try ubuntu?

Me: Why?

Son: Windows XP is driving me crazy?

Son: Windows update cause computer to be too slow! When I play games updates try to run. Messages always interrupting games and getting in the way of playing or drawling.

Me: Do you have any thing important to save?

Son: Dad I am 7 what is so important?

Me: Here is a flash drive and ubuntu cd.

2 hours later.

Me: Son did you give up?

Son: No just got done installing edu packages.

My son is 9 years old. He still uses ubuntu with the edu packages. He checks for updates every time he runs his computer.

Me: I thought you did not like updating your computer"

Son: No No I don't like it when my computer updates when I am not ready for it! My computer is for me I tell it what I need and it does it. It don't tell me what I need to do for it!

I know this may sound like off topic but it is not. Use what works best for you.

blueridgedog
December 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
you could just use opendns and set it to block whatever type of site you want.

I am using opendns now to learn how it works and how reliable it is. I hope it will be a good solution.

chickengirl
December 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
My Teenage girl likes Kubuntu. My son likes ubuntu with the edubuntu packages. My wife Hates Windows but uses it for gaming. My kids are like me. Use what works best for you with less resources. Here is a story for you.

HA! Your son is awesome.

<-- I'm a girl and I manage Ubuntu just fine, thank you. 'Course I'm 26, but I didn't like all that OMGPONIES!!1!! crap when I was 16, either.

oldos2er
December 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
What would you recommend for female teenagers?

Birth control.

jomiolto
December 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
HA! Your son is awesome.

<-- I'm a girl and I manage Ubuntu just fine, thank you. 'Course I'm 26, but I didn't like all that OMGPONIES!!1!! crap when I was 16, either.

I like pink ponies and I'm 20+ male ^_^

Hmm, perhaps I should start a new distro called Pink Ponies Linux!

ikt
December 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hmm, perhaps I should start a new distro called Pink Ponies Linux!

Invisible Pink Unicorns > Pink Ponies

bshosey
December 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I would recommend to have them try ubuntu kubuntu and xubuntu. Or any other. Just let them try some. Let them make the choice what they like best.

Teenagers and Most children are smarter than most people think. Let them change what they don't like in the distro. They will learn and have something that they would be proud of and will take care of their creation.

My kids like their older computers better than most new ones. Why because they have expressed them selfs with their customizations.

Rainstride
December 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I am using opendns now to learn how it works and how reliable it is. I hope it will be a good solution.

I use it, I only have the malware and phishing stuff blocked. but there is all kinds of stuff in the lists you can block. Its more reliable than an isp dns.

chickengirl
December 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM

Truth.

Twitch6000
December 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I would suggest Linux Mint 7 or Opensuse 11.2.

Or if you wanna get down and dirty slackware :D.

Twitch6000
December 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Son: Windows update cause computer to be too slow! When I play games updates try to run. Messages always interrupting games and getting in the way of playing or drawling.

Me: Do you have any thing important to save?

Son: Dad I am 7 what is so important?

Me: Here is a flash drive and ubuntu cd.

2 hours later.

Me: Son did you give up?

Son: No just got done installing edu packages.

My son is 9 years old. He still uses ubuntu with the edu packages. He checks for updates every time he runs his computer.

Me: I thought you did not like updating your computer"

Son: No No I don't like it when my computer updates when I am not ready for it! My computer is for me I tell it what I need and it does it. It don't tell me what I need to do for it!

I know this may sound like off topic but it is not. Use what works best for you.

Sorry for the double post,but I am impressed by your son :). Now see if he can install and set up arch linux if he can he can help me :D.

For real though it is nice to see some kids smart enough to install an os.

Mornedhel
December 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Agreed. Blessed be Her holy hooves.

On to the topic of "Linux for females", I have indoctrinated (not literally) a few people to various Linux distributions, both male and female. I find the default desktop to be pretty gender-neutral (nothing specific to males, nothing specific to females), and that is probably how it should be. Show them how to customize things. Apparently they can figure out their favorite colors by themselves !

bshosey
December 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
When my son was 3 him and I built his first computer. He helped me put mother board in and the cards and ram. He at the age of 4 could tell you what the parts in the computer was. he helps me work on the cars and stuff around the house. I try to teach him as much as I can. I also let him make his own mistakes and help him resolve them when needed.

That is how I learned. I broke a lot of stuff. I made a lot of mistakes. Still do. But I continue to learn.

aktiwers
December 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
NO Ubuntu is only for HuMans!!

AllRadioisDead
December 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Birth control.
I lol'd.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have a wife, two daughters, a granddaughter, and my son's Significant Other's daughter (not quite sure how to describe her except for SO_Grand_Daughter). They all use computers for different reasons, and in different ways. I don't think there is a "Linux for females".

All the females in my family only care about one thing, and that is, does it work for what I need it to do. I don't think that statement only applies to females. Most people I know only care if the computer and installed software just works for what they need it to do.

Of the five females, 2 are using Linux, 1 OSX, and 1 Microsoft Windows. In the same household, the are four males, 2 use Linux, and 2 use Microsoft Windows.

My wife wanted to cancel our cable TV subscription, and use Hulu, Netflix, and other Internet sources rather than pay for cable TV. One of my daughters decided I was taking to long to set up a multimedia computer. So, she did it herself. She took a tower, added the NIC and graphic cards to it. She didn't care what OS was running on it, as long as it worked.

When my son was 3 him and I built his first computer. He helped me put mother board in and the cards and ram. He at the age of 4 could tell you what the parts in the computer was. he helps me work on the cars and stuff around the house. I try to teach him as much as I can. I also let him make his own mistakes and help him resolve them when needed.

That is how I learned. I broke a lot of stuff. I made a lot of mistakes. Still do. But I continue to learn.

The Bold in the quote above is my emphasis. When I was 4 years old, I got into my dad's tools and dismantled the lawnmower. My dad could have gotten angry with me, and punished me. However, he made me put it back together again, with his guidance of course. I remember it to this day, something like 59 years later. He chose to teach me something rather than punish me.

He was a great dad!

KiraLexi
December 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
This thread is making me lose faith in humanity.

nothingspecial
December 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM

I wouldn`t worry about it, humanity has been ******* for many thousands of years.

bshosey
December 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
KiraLexi, why is this thread causing you to worry?

nothingspecial
December 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Ha, ha

toupeiro
December 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hey, just because nobody else mentioned this yet, why do we have to have a separate OS for women??

/sarcasm.

BuffaloX
December 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM
for you.

Cool story,:D but isn't it the kid that's supposed to ask why all the time?

Birth control.

lol :D
If there's an opening in MS support, you should definitely apply. ;)

bshosey
December 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I asked why because I wanted to hear why he wanted to try something els. He has his on opinions and I like to know them. I like to make sure my children can express their opinions in a educated and respectful manor. There is a reason why the kids always ask why. Because they know you will try to answer. I do the same to them.

BuffaloX
December 7th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I like to make sure my children can express their opinions in a educated and respectful manor.
Besides the point, but I suppose you mean manner not manor.

And he did that very well, sounds like you're a cool dad. :popcorn:

bshosey
December 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Spelling is one of my weaknesses.

blueridgedog
December 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Nah...most is humor, and some is good lessons learned outside the scope of "Linux for females".

ad_267
December 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think everyone scared off the OP... Most likely they were just after some nice themes.

coutts99
December 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM

OpenDNS and/or Dansguardian

jomiolto
December 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Unicorns are kind of scary (http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF103-Nice_Shirt.gif), while ponies just rule (http://www.djangopony.com/) :KS

wersdaluv
December 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Sabayon

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM
First, you could have just asked me.
Second, you could have tried using Gnome art manger; I did install it for you.
Third, you could have tried Mint, PCLOS, Puppy Linux, or asked me for more distros.
Fourth, this is a UBUNTU forum. People would be biased towards ubuntu.
Fifth, At least you used the forums; good for you there.

chris200x9
December 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I think everyone scared off the OP... Most likely they were just after some nice themes.

I disagree, she was a troll. :D

farkinid
December 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Obviously this thread was made to identify female ubuntu geeks ( shameless plug: see my topic) and subsequently stalk them. Thread starter is very very very crafty

The_Pirate_King
December 11th, 2009, 04:00 AM
You would need the "♀" linux in order for it to be compatible with your womanly hormones.

No seriously, who asks something like that? It's an operating system, not a restroom; it's not gender specific.
Just download Ubuntu, there are plenty of themes and other "eye candy" available for it.

LinuxFanBoi
December 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'me quite certain I read somewhere that Linux was strong enough for a man, but PH balanced for a woman... or was that something else, I'm not sure.

As for the Hannah Montana KDE theme, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more middle aged men with that theme installed along with a countdown timer on their desktop.

lisati
December 11th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Where are all the OP's posts?

starcannon
December 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Linux distributions as far as I know, are gender neutral.
Try on several, find the one you like best; if gender specific theming is something that is interesting to you, then tweak the theme of the interface to look "girly". I find the generic gender neutral theme to be sufficient myself, as does my wife, and my 2 daughters.