PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new install, getting libncursesw5 warning debootstrap warning

wstauffer
December 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have three desktops in my home...2 or which I have installed ubuntu successfully, although it took some work to get them to work.

My third computer is not allowing the ubuntu 9.10 install. I am using using the alternative text based install iso x386 32 bit. my computer is a AMD athlon with xp professional installed, 90 Gig HD, 1/2 gb ram,

I get part way through the installation, and get the red screen warning at 6% of installing files "Warning: Couldn't download package libncursesw5" and then when I press continue, I get file:///cdrom/pool/main/p/pam/libpam-modules_1.1.0-2ubuntu1_i386.deb was currupt and debootstrap warning, all combined.

I have burned three discs to be sure of the image, using of course the first disc I burned and Used successfully on the other two computers, but it will not work.

I am also noticing that each time I try to install, my partition keeps getting smaller. I have tried to shrinking existing partition, on available ree space, wubi, to no avail. Before each attempt, I have checked for disk errors in XP with chkdsk, and have defragged the drive.

Help please?!? I am a full convert....I love ubuntu, but am getting frustrated with this particular install.
I am new to linux in general, as well as using "command prompt" so be gentle on me!!

Techman9
December 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I've been having the same issue. Any new Developments in terms of BIOS configs or fixes. also, take a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136329&page=2, and http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=961431, they might give you some ideas. any new developments, let us know.

Techman9

wstauffer
December 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
None yet....I am working on a monitor issue on another computer (crappy low resolution) and have not attemped the reinstall on the other computer for about a week. Please keep me posted, and I will do the same.

Thanks, BIll