PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I change the folder of an installed application and let it work again?

ununpentium
December 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Hi!
I downloaded an application (vegastrike), .rar compressed file.
Its instructions wrote that I have to extract the folder from the compressed .rar file, then put it where I want, and run the installation file that is in it.
So, I thought that it is as in Windows: I thought that it was just the installation files folder (that I have to delete after the installation); that it will ask me where to install it during the installation process; so I put it on the desk.
On the contrary, the installation process just configured it where it was in that moment.
So, I moved it in another place, but if I run the application commands (the file to run it, or the setup file - it must be made from terminal), it tell me that the application is not installed and that I should make the command apt-get etc...
If I put it on the desk again, all run and work.

So, if I move the application, how could I let Ubuntu and the application understand that it has been moved from the desk to the home folder for example?

Finally, if this is not possible (but I would prefere), how could I uninstall it in order to be able to re-install it in another place? I tried with synaptic, but it doesn't see the application as installed... so it asks me to install it, not to uninstall it.

Thanks!

ununpentium
December 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Or how could I just uninstall it?

lennieuiej6
January 16th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Hi!I downloaded an application (vegastrike), .rar compressed file.Its instructions wrote that I have to extract the folder from the compressed .rar file, then put it where I want, and run the installation file that is in it.So, I thought that it is as in Windows (http://www.software-to-convert.com/windows-media-center-conversion-software/windows-media-center-to-sony-psp-software.html): I thought that it was just the installation files folder (that I have to delete after the installation); that it will ask me where to install it during the installation process; so I put it on the desk.On the contrary, the installation process just configured it where it was in that moment.So, I moved it in another place, but if I run the application commands (the file to run it, or the setup file - it must be made from terminal), it tell me that the application is not installed and that I should make the command apt-get etc...If I put it on the desk again, all run and work.So, if I move the application, how could I let Ubuntu and the application understand that it has been moved from the desk to the home folder for example?Finally, if this is not possible (but I would prefere), how could I uninstall it in order to be able to re-install it in another place? I tried with synaptic, but it doesn't see the application as installed... so it asks me to install it, not to uninstall it.Thanks!It helps me out of the problem, Thanks for your explanation! I got more deep understanding about this part.