PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install on tiny a440 laptop

trampintransit2
December 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I'm trying to load ubuntu onto an old TIny a440 laptop, but the install just freezes early on in the process. any ideas??

kerry_s
December 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
yes, more info.

you've told us nothing that can help us help you.

trampintransit2
December 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i tried a full install of 9.04 from a known good disc, the ubuntu symbol flashed up, there is much noise and gnashing of teeth, the progress bar under the ubuntu symbol moves to the far right, there is lots of harddisc noise for about 10mins accompanied by a black screen, the silence, black screen and the laptop appears to go into sleep mode or something.
At this point, pressing the release button on the cd tray will not release the cd, the power light is on but nothing else ids happening. press the power switch twice, the cd releaes and it gives the option of starting windows or ubuntu. opt to open ubuntu, much noise, black screen nothing else. Opt to open windows and it opens and there on the disc is a folder called ubuntu (711mb)
Can it be installing everything but a working graphics card maybe?

trampintransit2
December 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Having deleted the folder called ubuntu from windows, and restarting the 'puter still gives me an option to start windows or ubuntu. If i start windows and reinsert the cd and go for the install without altering your computer option it starts to 'extract files from D:\' (only after ' uninstalling ubuntu' from the control panel in windows.
it then extracts, or appears to extract fully. The 'installing CD boot helper' window runs to end, spits out the disc, asks to reboot. hit reboot, windows shuts down. New boot screen, choose ubuntu, the ubuntu symbol appears for a few minutes then black screen and silence!

I feel like its installing but just got no graphics.

kerry_s
December 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
specs?

Kevbert
December 6th, 2009, 10:45 PM
How much RAM do you have ? I've seen those machines with only 128Mb RAM.
You would probably have more luck with Puppy or DSL.