PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] speed up ubuntu?

phillychease
December 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
is there any tweeks that can speed up ubuntu boot time or opening applications?

joaojmconstantino
December 6th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I actually don't know if Ubuntu can be any faster, do you expirence some slowliness on the regular use of the computer?

wilee-nilee
December 6th, 2009, 03:50 AM

Is this a wubi install.

phillychease
December 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Is this a wubi install.

haha yea

phillychease
December 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I actually don't know if Ubuntu can be any faster, do you expirence some slowliness on the regular use of the computer?

well its already fast but i want it faster >:D

wilee-nilee
December 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
well its already fast but i want it faster >:D
Dual boot it will be faster.

MelDJ
December 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Dual boot it will be faster.

+1
because of the ext filesystem
furthermore you can use bleachbit form synaptic to remove redundant packages.
you can also use a lighter DE eg: openbox, flux, xfce

kentechy
December 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Not sure how to speed it up other than uninstalling unused apps. I read that Ubuntu 10 is shooting for a 10 second boot. That would be interesting...

3Miro
December 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
- to get speed from ubuntu you should install it either by itself in dual boot mode
- the generic kernels that come with the system are build for generic use, they are good, but not the best. You can try this web-page to see how you can make your own "flavor" of Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

http://blog.avirtualhome.com/2009/11/03/how-to-compile-a-kernel-for-ubuntu-karmic/

I have two laptops and a desktop, all of them are running with custom kernels. On the desktop specifically, I geared it towards a computational machine/server. Then I measured the boost in performance: 8%. The opposite way to go is to make the kernel more "snappy", however, that is more a question of perception than anything else.

WARNING: if you mess up, may may damage your system to the point of "reinstall is the only option".

joaojmconstantino
December 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
That is very risky... I don't recomend doing that unless you really know Ubuntu...