PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The Windows Installer does not work!

schmolch
December 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I tried it twice and every time after it installed the base-system it says "No Wubuilder" when i try to boot it.

Thats quite a impression you make on windows-users if you cant even make the installation work at all.

phillw
December 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I tried it twice and every time after it installed the base-system it says "No Wubuilder" when i try to boot it.

Thats quite a impression you make on windows-users if you cant even make the installation work at all.

Which set of instructions are you using for the Wubi installation & which version of Win are you using ?

Phill.

presence1960
December 6th, 2009, 02:02 AM

In 99% of cases it is operator error which causes something to not work. If you want help I would suggest you not put down Ubuntu to those who use it and are here to help those like you out of the kindness in their hearts on their own free time. This is probably why in over two hours no one is biting on your thread!

P.S. I don't want to make an impression on windows users. No OS is for everyone. I suggest you use whatever OS you feel comfortable with.

Psumi
December 6th, 2009, 02:03 AM
This is probably why in over two hours no one is biting on your thread!

That's quite annoying.

schmolch
December 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Which set of instructions are you using for the Wubi installation & which version of Win are you using ?

Phill.

I installed it from Windows 7. I dont know what you mean with instructions since there is nothing to set up other than the disk/partition-size and a user/password and the rest is done automatically.

schmolch
December 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM
In 99% of cases it is operator error which causes something to not work

Thats awesome, maybe bugs.launchpad.net should be closed then.

presence1960
December 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
thats awesome, maybe bugs.launchpad.net should be closed then.

:p

wilee-nilee
December 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
You might try telling us the type of installs you have tried for example was it a burned CD from an ISO, or was it a ISO in W7 or was it that wubi site download.

Also there are many Ubuntu sucks threads so your bound to get ignored if you come from that point of view, this type of response or no reponse are based on human nature, and many on the forum use multiple OS's so the argument is mute.

If you really want some help give us a fair amount of information.

You might also consider burning a CD and trying it out without installing, and if you have done this already it should have been part of the information.

You can also load the ISO onto a thumb with unetbootin to try it out

schmolch
December 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
wilee this was only about the windows-installer, which downloads the iso all by itself. I gave all the information since there is not much to tell about using the windows-installer. Just look at the screenshots on ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-wubi, there is not much to do or setup. I tried unetbootin next and it failed with a similar error, i believe it was "no ubnloader".
I installed from a DVD 10m later and it worked.

But other people will have the same experience and how could you think anything but "OMG this sucks!" if the install process fails like this?

phillw
December 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
wilee this was only about the windows-installer, which downloads the iso all by itself. I gave all the information since there is not much to tell about using the windows-installer. Just look at the screenshots on ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-wubi, there is not much to do or setup. I tried unetbootin next and it failed with a similar error, i believe it was "no ubnloader".
I installed from a DVD 10m later and it worked.

But other people will have the same experience and how could you think anything but "OMG this sucks!" if the install process fails like this?

As a picture speaks a thousand words ... Lord alone how many words are spoken on a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTB3wMUlRo Is a clip from You-Tube for Wubi & Win7.

At a guess, they got there Wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/ Seems like a good place, NO CD to burn etc.

Go have a look, we do try to 'bite' our tongues - Some do better than others - It is quite a different mind-set in Ubuntu than Win and it will take a little time for you to get your head round it !!

Regards,

Phill.

schmolch
December 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
phillw there is an issue with the installer and posting a youtube-video wont solve that. I use Linux since more than 10 years, i am capable if clicking a few buttons as instructed.

schmolch
December 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
phillw there is an issue with the installer and posting a youtube-video wont solve that. I use Linux since more than 10 years and only tried win7 because of a annoying xinerama-bug, i am capable of clicking a few buttons as instructed.

phillw
December 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
phillw there is an issue with the installer and posting a youtube-video wont solve that. I use Linux since more than 10 years and only tried win7 because of a annoying xinerama-bug, i am capable of clicking a few buttons as instructed.

I guess that depends upon which side of the fence you sit -- others say there is a problem with Win7 failing to follow standard installation methods for programmes. I do know there have been 'issues' for some with Win7 & Wubi - yet others have had no problem at all. As the Wubi installation is a constant factor for them all - it does not change ... it sorta makes you think why it would work on some Win7 installations & not others.

As an aside, and slightly OT, there are also issues with some computers (HP and another one that escapes me) having bacckup software running in the background in Win7 that over-writes the MBR - which is darn naughty - Your MBR should only be altered when YOU say so - anything else should be classed as a boot-sector virus !!

But, hey-ho. Such is life. Im' not going down the road of which install is 'better' than the next - It's a free world (well, unless you're running M$ - in which case it's an expensive world - lol) And each person can choose their own OS. I chose dual boot, one of the other stalwarts on here swears by Wubi. Some use persistant USB drives - the options are endless !!

Phill.