PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Editing Places Menu

Scooter_X
December 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hey everyone. I'm running my system with 3 partitions: 1 for windows 7, 1 for Ubuntu and 1 for everything else. What I was hoping to do is up where it says 'Places' I wanted to re-map those folders to the 'Documents' or 'Music' folders in my 'everything else' partition. Anyone know how to do that? I've been playing around with it since yesterday, can't figure out quite how. I only seem to be able to edit 'Applications' and 'System' and only add folders within them, not add folders to the taskbar. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

peepingtom
December 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
This config is in a hidden folder in your home folder

~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

gedit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Scooter_X
December 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Oh sweet!! Thanks!! I'll mark solved as soon as I get it working. (I being still new at this am likely to hose myself and require even more assistance) :D

Scooter_X
December 6th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Ha. Told you I'd hose myself :D

As an example, let's use the 'Documents' folder

It showed originally:

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"

and I changed it to:

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="/media/data storage/Documents"

and it opened the same folder as it was opening before I made the change. Even after a restart. Is there something wrong with my syntax? I saved the file after I edited it and everything. :P

Scooter_X
December 6th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Holysnap I found something here (http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343835&highlight=edit+places+menu) that fixed me.

Basically, when I'm in the file browser, on the left side it shows all those folders in the 'Places' menu. I can drag and drop, delete, rename and otherwise completely manipulate whatever is in that left hand menu. So, I dropped in the ones I wanted to be my Documents and Music folders, deleted the ones I didn't want and called it a day!

Now I feel dumb. I make things way harder than they ever need to be.

All the same though, thanks, peepingtom for your input.

peepingtom
December 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
aah sorry I'm still getting used to the whole volunteer support thing. I'll make sure to mention stuff like that in the future, I totally knew you could drag and drop and assumed you did too :D

I'm glad it worked out :D

Scooter_X
December 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hey no worries. Thanks anyway! ;)